Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Leaving bilge pump on?

So I have an idea to keep a dehumidifyer running at all times inside my boat while it is being stored. I store it outside with (two covers). It gets very humid in the summer months and I don't want mold to build up. I was going to run a garden hose from the dehumidifyer to the bilge pump so I don't have to keep emptying the tank every day. My question is, if I keep the bilge pump switch on, and it only kicks on every so often when the water builds up, will it still run down my battery? It should only be on no more than a week at a time whereas I usually get out every weekend. Thanks for the help.
    2006 Mobius XLV

It should only run for 10 sec. or so. Don't see how that would cause a problem.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

keep the battery on a trickle charger (I'm assuming you will already have power running to the baot to run the dehumidifier) and you shouldn't have any issues.

I can't imagine that the dehumidifier would collect so much water that it would cause the bilge pump to come on that often. And Kane is right, it would only come on for a few seconds at a time. You should be fine.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you're running a dehumidifier in your boat and letting the water it collects sit in the bottom of your boat until the pump kicks on, aren't you kinda defeating the purpose? You've got a pretty ugly cycle there. Why not run the hose out the drain hole? Or just leave the plug out so any water it collects drains out?
    '00 Moomba Kamberra
    '06 Yamaha FZ1 & 6 dirtbikes for me & my kids
    '99 BMW 528it
    '06 Chevy Express 3500 (15 passenger)

X2 with rc.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Hmmm dehumidifer means heat right?? And pumping out xtra water sounds dangerous?? Why not go this safe route. A solar panel and a blower motor sucking all of the humidity out! You can run a blower hose up the the hight point and blow it out under the cover and its safe!! Jet

solar panel:

blower motor:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    89' Comp Resto:
    http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=8193

Riding and Mod pic's:
    http://www.supraboats.com/bbs/album.php?albumid=86

89' Supra/Custom Tower & Interior/Swivel Racks
    4 Blade-14X14/1600 lbs Ballast
    Roswell Bar/Led's/Krypt 6.5 HLCD's/Krypt 4200 Eq
    JL-PPI Amps 1750 Watts/Kicker Interiors/L7 Kicker Sub

I keep a dehumidifier in mine just the way you are talking about. It is rare to have enough water accumulate to make the bildge kick on. I do not leave mine in all the time tho, just a day or two after a lake trip. It is the best way I have found to dry the boat out in a timely manner.
    07 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by rc5695 View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but if you're running a dehumidifier in your boat and letting the water it collects sit in the bottom of your boat until the pump kicks on, aren't you kinda defeating the purpose? You've got a pretty ugly cycle there. Why not run the hose out the drain hole? Or just leave the plug out so any water it collects drains out?
    X3.........

The main reason for the dehumidifyer is to keep and suck the moisture and humidity out of the wet carpet or what may be in spots I can't get to cleaning. I think it will be isolated enough in the engine compartment to prevent moisture from coming back into the main part of the boat. I have a 30 qt dehumidifyer and it will fill up completely within 1 night.

I thought about running a hose out the drain hole, but a regular garden hose is to big, plus its kinda a pain getting to it each time.

Still looking for options. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and add on to my shed.
    Thanks for the opinions.
    2006 Mobius XLV