Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default IDEA THREAD- Your new boat has no ballast.

OK, lots of guys have posted issues with ballast systems, upgrades, fine tuning, etc. I want to pose a question. What if your new boat came with no ballast system at all and you had to start over from scratch? What would you do this time around and WHY???

So, if you want max wake for wakeboarding and money is no option-- say so then say why you would do it your way, etc. and how. Likewise, if you only surf one side and you wanted to keep costs to a minimum- explain the "why" part, then say what you would do.

Please try to keep your thoughts organized and concise. This thread is designed to help others make decisions about what to do with their own ballast systems as they contemplate upgrading, etc. That is the reason the "why" part is so important here.

Lets' see if we get any great ideas out of this.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

not sure what ideas you are looking for, as you are limited to the design of the boat. my wish list would be compartments like mb offers that fill/drain in under a minute, but that's not a reality with skiers products so no reason to talk about it..

If I was designing with an empty boat, I would do the following, but it's not that much different than what most have done already...
    1000's in each rear corner, 400 in the center locker as that's all that will fit on my boat. 3 pumps off one intake and a rule drain off each bag.

gives you the max weight for surfing and a solid wake if you have a pro wakeboarder on board.

my .02-skiers gives you a good basic system out of the box, but it's not the biggest you can have, and I'm sure the lawyers are the reason behind that(just like the reason centurion does not offer the enzo sac as a factory option). Nice thing about skiers is that it's plug/play so you can upgrade the bags easily as you see fit and adding multiple pumps is not too far out of reach for diy guys.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

It would design it as simple as possible.

3 reversible pumps with 3 seperate thru-hull intakes feeding each ballast bag. I would sitck with 400lb bags for wakeboarding and remove the 400lb bag in the rear locker and replace with a 750lb for surfing.

DONE.
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    3 pumps off one intake and a rule drain off each bag.
    Good thoughts so far. I assume you mean 3 pumps like Rule or Tsunami but a larger intake, perhaps 1" to handle all 3?
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Good thoughts so far. I assume you mean 3 pumps like Rule or Tsunami but a larger intake, perhaps 1" to handle all 3?
    Rule or Tsunami are not reversible.

It would be a Jabsco ballast puppy or a Johnson Ultra

http://www.wakemakers.com/johnson-ul...last-pump.html
    http://www.wakemakers.com/jabsco-bal...oard-pump.html
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

Quote Originally Posted by deafgoose View Post
    Rule or Tsunami are not reversible.

It would be a Jabsco ballast puppy or a Johnson Ultra
    Uh, if you look closely I was replying to sandm, not you. I wanted to clarify what he was saying. Note that he also mentioned drain pumps.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Im planning on a full system redo this winter. So far, what I am thinking is removing the manifold and valve setup and switching to 5 independent Tsunami 1200s to fill from. The 4th will be added for my extra sac that we put on the sunpad while surfing,and the 5th for the extra bow sack that will set on top of the seats when in use. While not in use, the fill and drain hoses will just be tucked away.

I plan on upgrading the stock thru hull to a 1", and adding a secondary 1" thru hull. I haven't quite determined how I want to split the 5 fills between the two, aside from knowing that my starboard 1100 sac and the belly 1180 will not be on the same one. In addition, I plan on adding vents to the 3 main bags, and wye-ing them into the existing drain lines with wye fittings and a check valve. I want all lines to be upgrades to 1", as well as swap the 3/4 bag fittings to the 1" as well.

Again, I haven't gotten it all worked out in my head yet, but these are my basic ideas.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

for speed--10 pumps total
    5 thru hulls
    filler pumps
    2-3400 rule for the rear surf sacks-1 each side
    3-1200 rule for ski locker, ibs and port under seat bag

5-1200 rules for empting each bag

for ease of use/install
    5 reversibles on 5 thruhulls

either above system with 1" hose
    Last edited by moombadaze; 06-08-2011 at 02:40 PM.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Localized Gravity Field Manipulation... the only way to go
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

ya kane, larger intake and as you described...

I'm thinking rather than adding ballast, how about a refrigeration unit in the center and dual kegs-one import and one domestic on each side. start out wakeboarding and drinking the import. when you have finished that keg, switch to surfside since only one side will be weighted. once that is gone, either pass out or go home. whichever one is easier

perfect ballast. show up at the lake with a loaded boat, leave with loaded guests....
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten