Default Moomba purchase help...

Hello -

A newbie to the Moomba forums and owner of a Moomba (hopefullly very soon).

Looking at a 2003 Outback - excellent condition- under 100 hours, 310 Hp
    carburetor (not EFI) engine, cd player, no tower, no ballast...

What should I pay/offer? Ready to make an offer soon.

I primarily sky ski and slalom but would like to add tower and ballast for recreational wakeboarding, maybe try surfing...

Is it a good all around boat for that?
    4 member family with 2 small kids - 7 & 5

Previously owned inboards, never a true ski boat...

Any Issues I should be aware of with that model?

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!

Thanks in Advance.

Tiz

Dallas, Tx - it is q fresh water only boat.

How many more kids are you having? JK. It's a great boat. Check the Kelly bluebook and other boats for sale around the country but especially in your area. Make an offer you are comfortable with. Good luck!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    How many more kids are you having? JK. It's a great boat. Check the Kelly bluebook and other boats for sale around the country but especially in your area. Make an offer you are comfortable with. Good luck!

LOL - the two are alpha and omega.... No more.
    I Was just asking if it was a good family boat.

I assume the low hours are a benefit but should I be concerned about the lack
    of use as a negative? Cracked hoses, etc....
    How much of a hassle is no EFI?

I never had an issue with my 2000 carbed Outback. See my pics for family fun on an Outback.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Paid $10,500 for mine in the middle of winter. Put 2 seasons, 128 hours and an aftermarket tower on it ($450). Sold it for $12,500 just 2 years and 2 months later. Still love that boat!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiz View Post
    I primarily sky ski and slalom but would like to add tower and ballast for recreational wakeboarding, maybe try surfing...

Is it a good all around boat for that?
    4 member family with 2 small kids - 7 & 5
    My viewpoint on this is, unless you are a diehard slalom skier and having the flattest wake possible is a top priority, skip the direct drive and look at getting a v-drive instead. V-drives are better boats all around - more storage space, much better seating layout, more spacious cabin, etc. Even if you are only a family of 4, you will want to be able to take guests with you and a DD will quickly feel cramped. Also, the v-drives typically have higher freeboard so it handles chop better and keeps the occupants drier. And if you plan to wakeboard and surf in the future, a v-drive is much better set up for that.

My two cents.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    My viewpoint on this is, unless you are a diehard slalom skier and having the flattest wake possible is a top priority, skip the direct drive and look at getting a v-drive instead. V-drives are better boats all around - more storage space, much better seating layout, more spacious cabin, etc. Even if you are only a family of 4, you will want to be able to take guests with you and a DD will quickly feel cramped. Also, the v-drives typically have higher freeboard so it handles chop better and keeps the occupants drier. And if you plan to wakeboard and surf in the future, a v-drive is much better set up for that.

My two cents.

Al
    I just bought my '05 LS a few months ago it is my first boat and we got a amazing deal on it. We have 3 kids age from 9 - 2. I love the boat it handles great and we have a blast on it! We don't really have any problem with seating. There are times when the motorbox can be in the way and I do wish it had more storage, it does sit low in the water and it can ride pretty hard in the choppy water. Overall I think it is a great boat for what we use it for. My wife and I wakeboard and are complete beginners so the smaller wake is good for us as we learn. I have 760# of total balast if we want to step it up a little bit more and the last few times we've been out we've had 11 or 12 people in the boat! We didn't feel cramped at all. Granted 5 of them range in age from 10 - 2. So with that many people in it it steps the wake up even more. I woudn't think more than 8 Adults would be very comfortable though. I don't regret buying it at all but I do know that when it comes time for us to get another one, which is inevitable I don't care what anyone says, when the kids are a little bigger and our skills progress, we will get a LSV or an XLV. Of course i am talking about a LS vs a DD Outback. It doesn't matter what you choose just get out there and enjoy time with your family!
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

Default Help Purchasing

Check NADA it's $15-17,000 for that one add cruise and any other options. I was within a hair of getting a beautiful 03 LS for $14,000 and someone came in and paid the asking price of $16,000 a year ago! Id still lowball to try and get a good deal from a motivated seller. The risk is you may miss that boat.

We have had 10 people in the outback and it was functional! I've been wakeboarding 10 years and my skills haven't advanced past the DD With 300#s of ballast and a couple of big friends. The slalom Wake is good, and for little ones learning the smaller wake is better. The freeboard depth is an issue, if you'll be using in rough water get the bigger LS or a V.

Peace
    Darren
    FamilyMatters

2009 Outback