Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Pulling tubes - how fast?

What is the average speed pulling a tube behind the boat? 20 mph or less?

Regularly my wife and I wake surf and wakeboard, but never tried tubing. We are thinking of picking one up and giving it a try.
    2009 Moomba Mobius LSV Liquid Force. Indmar 340HP CAT

20 mph max for safety reasons pulling people on the tube. Plenty fast enough if you know how to drive properly. Anything higher and you can really hurt somebody.

Of course I am sure there are people that pull much faster and no one got hurt. I just remember doing some research afther I hurt a kid (concussion) on a tube and found the 20 mph recommendation.

Of course this is an alleged response as I would never admit doing something as uncool as tubing behind a wakeboard boat.
    Skylar18
    2007 Sunsport 22V

Thats what I was thinking. Not only for safety, but also thinking of stress to the rear tow pylon at faster speeds.

Under 20mph but In smooth water pull it as fast as you can until it pops. In less than ideal wakeboarding conditions where there are no wakeboarders you can do all the power turns and figure eights you want.

speed always depends on whether i like the person on the tube and if that person is going to pull me on the tube I am nice to him.. I pull kids at 20 or less, adults faster

Whould it be a bad idea to fill the ballast bags? Thinking of making some good double ups

Whatever it takes to get some huge standing waves. For those who hate the tubers, it is payback when they see someone being launched.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

my goal is that if somebody asks me to pull them tubing they only do it once. I try not to hurt people but I want them to say it was terrifying and that they never want me to tube them again. I'll go less than 20 if I'm whipping them around- hell if you make a tight turn you only need to go about 5 or 10 and you can still send them flying- but I'll have some times when I go in a strait line and just gun it- I want them to hear the engine screaming. It works well if you can get them hanging half off the tube then gun it so they can't get back on- they'll lose their shorts and you can joke about their tiny tube.

Also- apparently on our lake the proper way to pull a tuber is to ignore all boating laws, common sense, and safety considerations. Just last night my neighbor had a guy pulling a tuber back and forth across his wake while he wall pulling a boarder. boarder fell, tuber didn't stop, and my neighbor got to perform a massive power turn in his 24 ft boat.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

Whould it be a bad idea to fill the ballast bags? Thinking of making some good double ups
    I've pulled with a 750 filled in my basement - can almost get a big 3 person tube (like a queen air mattress size) to go wake to wake if you give them an S-turn with a little slack and then whip them. I burned a hell of a lot of gas towing the tube with ballast though...

Usually run 18-20mph for the younger or more nervous riders, 20-25 for the teenagers with big mouths.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I keep her just under 50....... well only because my boat will only do about 48
    2007 Outback V