Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Prop Test Results Part 2

Last spring, I tested three props - the stock OJ prop, the OJ wakeboard prop, and the Acme 537 which falls in between the stock and the wakeboard prop. Below is a link to that post and the dialogue that ensued.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....p+test+results

After that test, I went with the Acme 537 and used that prop all summer. It met all my performance requirements until one day late in the summer. That day, I had all my ballast full (1300#'s), had 6-7 adults on board, and was trying to pull up a wakeboarder. We got him up, but it took a while. That was when I found the limits of the 537 and since that day, I've been thinking about a new prop.

I didn't want the OJ wakeboard prop because in my tests, it lost 4 mph on the top end and because it growls at low speeds as many people have commented. It also turns more rpms at all speeds resulting in poor fuel efficiency all the time. The 1235 is out because it's overkill and there is supposedly a trailer clearance issue witht he LSV. The 1433 is the next choice but I would have the same issue with this prop as with the OJ wakeboard prop - too many rpms and higher fuel consumption all the time. Which brings me to the little known 1847, which is the same diameter (14") and pitch (14.25") as the 1433 but has more cup (0.150" vs 0.105"). According to Jim at Acme, the additional cup has the effect of almost an inch of additional pitch on the top end with negligible loss of holeshot on the bottom end. And it turns fewer rpms than the 1433 at the same speed. Sounds good to me and wakemakers (who also sells props but the way) is just down the road from me and they happend to have one in stock, and Spencer said I could try it out and if didn't like it, could bring it back for a full refund. So I picked it up Friday and tested it today.

Below is the updated prop results form with the 1847's performance data added. The testing conditions were almost identical as last spring so the comparisons are valid. Only difference is that last year, my 14 year old son was with me (he weighed about 100 lbs) whereas this year, it was just me in the boat. The numbers speak for themselves. I didn't bother testing it with ballast as I know it will have more pull than I will ever need. Needless to say, I am keeping this prop and will be posting my Acme 537 and my stock OJ in the classifieds soon.

Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Here is a shot of the gauges during my top speed run. This shot highlights the importance of using a gps when quoting top speed. I calibrated both the analog speedometer and the perfect pass digital speedometer to the gps at 23 mph, yet at 39 mph (as indicated by the gps), the analog speedo reads almost 41 and the perfect pass display reads 38. The second pic shows a crop of the gps where you can see 39 mph in the upper right corner of the display.

Al

2006 Mobius LSV

The two Acme props. The 1847 is on the left and the 537 is on the right.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Interesting. I am about to the point of being tired of vibrations in my oj 14.25x14.
    Was leaning toward 1235 but like these numbers....
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

I was really looking at that 1847 but no one had done a test on it until now! Thank you for doing this as this confirms my choice for my next prop. The OJ growl is VERY annoying and to me it makes my boat feel very very cheap.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Looks like a perfect choice. Your numbers sold me on the idea of the 537 (I know, I know, I actually got the 1161, which is the .135 cup instead of .105 cup in the same size prop - 13.5 X 16 ). It has been perfect. Now I know what I will need to go to when my 11 year old boys start demanding more ballast in a few years.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Matt75 got the new OJ 5 blade and was nice enough to let me try out his acme 537 that came on his axis. My boat came with OJ wakeboard prop, 14.25x14, and his did not pull nearly as good as mine which is to be expected but it was butter smooth. My "ogre" was gone too! I have the stock OJ back on now but an 1847 will be purchased by next spring!
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    My "ogre" was gone too! I have the stock OJ back on now but an 1847 will be purchased by next spring!
    You really won't be sorry with the 1847. It is really the best mod I have done to date and now I could never go back. If I ever buy a new boat it won't leave the lot without a prop upgrade with the 1847 or comparable.

------Sold-------
    2008 MOBIUS LSV - Acme 1847, GIII w/1100lbs Vdrive, IBS, PPSG, Wake plate, Z-5, Kenwood 700U, Kenwood Kca-RC107MR , Exile SXT65, Kicker 700.5, Kicker 350.4, Polk MM651, JL 13.5 Thin-Line Sub.

My new 1847 with a prop puller should be delivered tomorrow so my question is: do I have to torque the prop or just tighten it tight?
    Mobius LSV 2011
    GIII, V2 Tower, Indmar 325,

Take a sharpie and trace a line on the shaft at the front edge of the prop. When you put the new one on you can tighten it until it reaches the line. Should be in the right spot.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!