Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default vacation need alternator help

Ok when i'm on the boat just once in while I will see the gauge reading 13 amps most of the time its reading 11or less. I have a perko switch so I have two batterys.so I hope I will not be left floating I'm on my droid and have very little service. There is a wallmart near by so if you guys thing I should by a battery charger to get me through the week which one should I buy
    "You spend most of your life, looking for the adult that you are... then you spend the rest of your life looking for the child that you were."
    98 boomerang sold
    04 outback lsv

A 2amp to 10amp trickle charger should work fine. A jumper box would be better because you can use it all the timeand keep it on the boat but its a little more money. Good luck.

PWI as usual...

Does anyone know anything I can check to start looking for my alternator problem?
    "You spend most of your life, looking for the adult that you are... then you spend the rest of your life looking for the child that you were."
    98 boomerang sold
    04 outback lsv

Quote Originally Posted by Jceclipse01 View Post
    Ok when i'm on the boat just once in while I will see the gauge reading 13 amps most of the time its reading 11or less. I have a perko switch so I have two batterys.so I hope I will not be left floating I'm on my droid and have very little service. There is a wallmart near by so if you guys thing I should by a battery charger to get me through the week which one should I buy
    maybe its your gauge, get a digital multimeter and check the amperage that is going to the batteries when the boat is running. You can also use it to check what your alternator is putting out ...volts and amps........14.4 volts i think you have a 70 amp alt at throttle not sure what the idle output is maybe 25 amps?
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 06-06-2011 at 10:27 PM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

My gauge has always read around 11 or so ever since I've owned mine. Obviously the gauge is wrong or it's the voltage regulator on the alternator.
    I've been using a Optima blue top battery for 5 years and it's never gone dead on me...
    '99 Outback (Maroon/Creme) GM 350/Holley 4150
    550 HRS
    LaSalle-Peru, IL

What gauge are you guys referring to? Mine has a volt gauge, I'm pretty sure, not an amp/ current gauge. If this is the case for you too, then 11-13 volts sounds right for the gauge to be reading.

hopefully I am not missing something here and sound like an idiot now.
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

Its a volt meter gauge and it should read between 14 and 14.4 volts when the engine is running and the batteries are taking a charge. It should never be below 12 volts otherwise your battery is getting weak. The analog gauges may not be accurately reading what is really being put out. Just put a digital gauge on your battery 12.7-13.3v for fully charged motor off, and when running and caharging around 14.4v
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

It's reading 11 volts not 11 amps my bad. but every time I looked at the gauge in the past its been a little over 13
    98 boomerang sold
    04 outback lsv

Ok the multi meter is reading 12.2 with the boat running thats after battery being on the charger all night I'm thinking something not working right any thoughts
    98 boomerang sold
    04 outback lsv

Quote Originally Posted by Jceclipse01 View Post
    Ok the multi meter is reading 12.2 with the boat running thats after battery being on the charger all night I'm thinking something not working right any thoughts
    Alternator is going bad friend. It should always read over 13 running and it should be 14.4 to 14.6 on the voltage side.

I be replacing that as soon as i hit shore.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]