Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kamberra

Default Kamberra

Alright guys, surfing newbie here, with the age-old question on proper ballasting, and stupid me forgot my camera last weekend...

I can't afford these new XLV's and such, so I have a '00 Kamberra, pretty much the XLV's predecessor... I have the huge ski-locker bag and 1 in each rear corner, and was running 2k rpm or just over.

This weekend was the first time surfing, and I think I tried every possible combo of ballast and got the best wake with none!?!? I can't get a surfing wake on the left side at all, but with no ballast i was able to get a decent wake on the right side (heel side). I'd much rather start surfing on the left side...I'll be sure to take my camera next time, but does anybody have any set-up hints/suggestions for me to try the next time I go out? Besides not to ski and wakeboard first and get tired out.

Specifically anybody ever surf behind a Kamberra???
    '00 Moomba Kamberra
    '06 Yamaha FZ1 & 6 dirtbikes for me & my kids
    '99 BMW 528it
    '06 Chevy Express 3500 (15 passenger)

Every boat is the same but they are all different too. Let's start with the stuff that's the same. Fill the center or front (ski) locker bag all the way. More weight up front lengthens the pocket and makes for a fun and nice wave to play on. Fill the rear bag on the side you want to surf. Leave the other side empty. Weight in the rear on the surf side makes the wave taller (although a little extra weight in the opposite side or on the platform can give it more power on some boats). If you have a wake plate start with it all the way up. Try about 10 MPH. Use a GPS to figure out your RPM if your speedo doesn't work. Have everyone sit on the surf side.

Make all your adjustments one thing at a time from this baseline and decide if it gets better or worse. Once you find things that make it better, try combinations. So, if a half mile an hour faster helps a little and partially filling the non-surf side bag helps a little, then try them together. Eventually you will have a profile for what works for your boat.

Good luck. If you can post some pics or video we can offer suggestions based on how the wave looks.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Thanks kane...I knew you'd chime in.

I started exactly where you're suggesting, full front and rear left bags, and the wake just wasn't very tall and had a lot of wash at the top of it. It was OK, but just not good enough for me to be able to get slack in the rope. the right side was actually slightly better and I was able to get a little slack a couple of times!

I filled the right bag too (first partially and then fully), and then it was just all wash until I got to a speed taht just seemed to fast for surfing (guessing close to 15 mph). I emptied the rear bags and it got a little better, but it was way better on the right than the left. Emptied the front bag and the left is all wash while the right is pretty decent. This is near the end of the day now and we're all beat. Like I said, I'm very ready to try it again, but it'll probably be a couple weeks before I can afford another $100 in gas to get out there again...

My speedo is practically trash, so I was going off RPM's, which I was verying VERY slightly at different situations to try to improve it.
    '00 Moomba Kamberra
    '99 BMW 528it

What size are your rear bags. It sounds like you may need more weight in the rear on the surf side. If they are small, can you throw them both on the same side somehow? How many people did you have in the boat? I'm assuming your boat doesn't have a wakeplate, right?
    Last edited by kaneboats; 06-06-2011 at 03:06 PM.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

no wakeplate...Just my 14 year old driving and another adult on the left side of the boat. I was going to investigate moving the right bag to the left side in the passenger compartment...Not sure if i can w/o a few modifications to the pump set-up... Plan on looking into though. Rear bags are ~50 gallons I guess? that sound right? Sorry for no pics... I'll try to get some next weekend. I've got to be at VBS this week every night from 5:30-9:00. No plans on getting back on the water for a couple weeks...
    '00 Moomba Kamberra
    '99 BMW 528it

Those sound like 400 lb ones or 450's. I am pretty sure you need more weight in the rear for how much weight in the front. I have an idea for you. Invite about 6 extra people with you and have them each bring about $10 for gas. Have them all sit in back on the surf side and see what you get.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Hitch your boat up and come to Lake Sinclair sunday July 10th and we will get it figured out, I even have a 1100lb bag we could try if ya like
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    Hitch your boat up and come to Lake Sinclair sunday July 10th and we will get it figured out, I even have a 1100lb bag we could try if ya like
    We're still planning on coming, and I'm sure we'll bring all our toys 1100 lbs. That's take at least 1/2 an hour to fill up with my pumps. lol.
    '00 Moomba Kamberra
    '99 BMW 528it

Quote Originally Posted by rc5695 View Post
    We're still planning on coming, and I'm sure we'll bring all our toys 1100 lbs. That's take at least 1/2 an hour to fill up with my pumps. lol.
    I'm really glad to hear you are planning on coming. It'll be great to meet you and the family. I can't believe how close it's getting all of a sudden.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

RC - pretty sure you're hull is the twin sister to mine. The ass end of our boats is not as tall as the newer ones and the noses are a bit longer. I had similar probs at first with trying to get a surf setup. Had 250lb hard tanks that didn't do much. 400lb bags didn't make much diff. 750 in the surf corner started to show promise. 750 in the basement and 1100 in the surf corner was the ticket. I did my filling/draining of those last summer with a Tsunami 1200 hand held. It definitely took some time but was worth it.

Have a few people up front as mentioned to lengthen it out and anyone else parked on the surf side and you'll start to find a good looking wave. I mentioned in another post I "believe" my best wave is around 11.5mph. Even with a little bit of white wash the extra weight will make the wave more surfable.

This was my surf wave last year but only 2 kids in the boat so it was pretty tall and part of it is the camera angle. This year I'm adding more weight to the front to lengthen it out so it's not so steep.

Still, more weight is the ticket IMO!
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...