Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ballast pump woes...

So took the Outback to a public lake yesterday and had ballast issues. Pump would turn on, but would not pump into the ballast bag. removed fitting from ballast bag, no water at all going through hose. removed water strainer, and water was flowing with pump off. With pump on, water flowed faster. Put back on, and tight, but no water to bag. Must have a kink, or? Any ideas to check? Also, any way to check a ballast system on the trailer?
    08 Outback. Private Lake Owner.

check your sprinkler valves and make sure they are actuating. i have heard stories about them getting stuck.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by usaski1 View Post
    So took the Outback to a public lake yesterday and had ballast issues. Pump would turn on, but would not pump into the ballast bag. removed fitting from ballast bag, no water at all going through hose. removed water strainer, and water was flowing with pump off. With pump on, water flowed faster. Put back on, and tight, but no water to bag. Must have a kink, or? Any ideas to check? Also, any way to check a ballast system on the trailer?
    Did you get the boat up on plane then turn the ballast switch om? The pump needs to be primed the first time you put the boat in the water and getting it up on plane forces water to the pump. Otherwise, it is trying to pump air.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

yeah. put the boat on plane. My ballast intake is just a hole, no scoop.
    How do I check my sprinkler valves, and what use is the valve anyway? is it just a check valve? the pump pumps the water, why do I even need the valve? Can i just replace with a 1 way check valve?

You have the Gravity 1, right? Not sure why your intake doesn't have a scoop since that's how the pump is primed. The reason for the sprinkler valve (at least on an intake with a scoop) is to prevent the bag from filling when on plane. Without the valve, water would be pushed thru the pump and into the bag even if the pump is off. It also prevents water from draining out when you don't want it to.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Yeah, Gravity 1. I did have to go out and look, I do have a scoop! I wonder why my system isnt working? Okay, so I need the sprinkler valve... wonder what else I can check...

did you winterize and pull the water stainer off and put it on backwards? it only flows one way or is it clogged with stuff.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

no winterization was done, and it was working a month ago. I pulled it out of the lake (damn drought, water getting low) and it sat on my trailer for a month. I'll have to see, but I'm pretty sure I'm getting water to the straner, and it flows faster when I turn the pump on, meaning things are good at least up to the strainer.
    Last edited by usaski1; 06-05-2011 at 09:21 AM.

If you have a fake a lake, you should be able to test it on the trailer. Just attach it to the ballast intake. I would start by removing the hose quick connect from the valve, turning the ballast pump on, and see if water flows thru the solenoid. If not, unscrew the valve from the manifold and see if water flows. So do this until you isolate where your problem is - the valve, strainer, pump, or hose.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Had the same issue with my 2010 LSV this weekend! Ended up running it 2 or 3 times on plane then it finally caught prime and started. The last time I went slowly to plane thinking it might push more water into the scoop with the nose up a bit longer and it worked! Had no idea you have to prime pumps till I saw it on the board (first wakeboard boat)!