Thread: Amp Rack??

Default Amp Rack??

Engineering my amp rack in my head before I start on it and have 1-big issue. I have 2-new pretty silver JL's and then a older 750 Yamaha and a older 400-Concord amp. The problem is that the new JL's are silver, the Yamaha is Black and the Concord is like a light red or pink anodized. Thats not going to make a pretty amp rack?? In the past they have been hidden in the storage area in front of the driver on my closed bow but now I will make a pretty amp rack on the passenger storage side and they will be seen. Is this a big issue?? Or am I just being a dork?? The Concord amp is pretty gay looking (no jokes please) Not sure I want to put out another $500-$880 for matching amps. Any thoughts? Jet
    89' Comp Resto:
    http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=8193

Riding and Mod pic's:
    http://www.supraboats.com/bbs/album.php?albumid=86

89' Supra/Custom Tower & Interior/Swivel Racks
    4 Blade-14X14/1600 lbs Ballast
    Roswell Bar/Led's/Krypt 6.5 HLCD's/Krypt 4200 Eq
    JL-PPI Amps 1750 Watts/Kicker Interiors/L7 Kicker Sub

Very simple to me, pull the amp covers off and paint them silver.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Second! (what i'd do if i cared enough)
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

or just save the work and leave them hidden
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Glue the door shut behind the observer's seat.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Cover em in foil.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Id just mount them anyhow and be doen with it. Then whem someone says ehh pink amp you can say yea well that pink amp is pounding these speakers lol.

Look at it this way, just like some parts on a woman, we all like the parts, big and small just as long as they have them.

Same about Amps i dont care what you run, what they look like, as long as they Crank that shiz threw them speakers.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by Jet View Post
    Engineering my amp rack in my head before I start on it and have 1-big issue. I have 2-new pretty silver JL's and then a older 750 Yamaha and a older 400-Concord amp. The problem is that the new JL's are silver, the Yamaha is Black and the Concord is like a light red or pink anodized. Thats not going to make a pretty amp rack?? In the past they have been hidden in the storage area in front of the driver on my closed bow but now I will make a pretty amp rack on the passenger storage side and they will be seen. Is this a big issue?? Or am I just being a dork?? The Concord amp is pretty gay looking (no jokes please) Not sure I want to put out another $500-$880 for matching amps. Any thoughts? Jet
    Jet,

It's only an issue if it's an issue to you. I say use what you got and don't worry about it, but do your install with upgrades in mind. Then when time and money allow and you feel the need, you can upgrade and not have to redo everything. Make sure you leave a little extra length of all your wires (speaker wires, power and ground cables, remote turn on cable) because if you don't, you might have to redo those if you get new amps and they connect on the other side, etc. Ask me how I know Also, use 1 in/3 out (or 4 out) distribution blocks to make hooking them up easier.

I am personally on rev 3 of my amp set up. Started out with an old school gold Sony amp and a red Boss amp. Then went to a white JL and a gray Kicker. Now I run two black Exile amps and one white JL Audio amp and it doesn't bother me one bit. I will probably upgrade the JL to the Exile 800.4 when I upgrade my cabin speakers to Exile but that is a little ways down the road.

Al
    Last edited by cab13367; 06-04-2011 at 11:03 AM.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Hmm not getting these reply emails?? Thanks guys that makes me feel a little better. Thanks
    89' Comp Resto:
    http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=8193

Riding and Mod pic's:
    http://www.supraboats.com/bbs/album.php?albumid=86

89' Supra/Custom Tower & Interior/Swivel Racks
    4 Blade-14X14/1600 lbs Ballast
    Roswell Bar/Led's/Krypt 6.5 HLCD's/Krypt 4200 Eq
    JL-PPI Amps 1750 Watts/Kicker Interiors/L7 Kicker Sub

Jet,
    It seems like Yamaha hasn't made mobile electronics amplifiers in a very long time. We used to carry them. With the harsher marine environment and if the Concord and Yamaha amplifiers are getting a little milage on them, they might not last for too many more seasons. So I wouldn't put alot of energy into the asthetic issue since things may change faster than you would like them to. However, I would give alot of consideration to the layout of the amplifers and the wiring so that I could facilitate a new amplifier(s) footprint with possibly connections coming from a different side or sides. Hopefully you can arrange things so that you don't have to make wholesale modifications to the amp board in adjusting to a change of a major component.
    If your future amplifiers are JL Audio Class D models for example then the silver XDs will match, the footprint will be smaller and all connections will be on a single side. In XDs they currently have 1x300, 1x600, 2x100, 4x100, 1x300+2x100, 6x100, 1x300+4x100 plus several larger models to follow soon. And, the JX silver matches up very well with the previous E, A, and G series. In any case as technology improves amplifiers in general are becoming smaller for more power.

David
    Earmark Marine