Camp on pool 8 of Allegheny River (Adrian, PA)

Default Fiberglass muffler to Rubber Hose Question

I had the need to remove the rubber hose from the exit end of the fiberglass mufffler tube on my 2003 Outback for other repairs I was doing.

During reassembly I found it very difficult to get the hose to seal back onto the fiberglass (male portion) of the muffler tube. This was mainly due to the end of the muffler tube being tapered, and not very strong. It seamed that the fiberglass tube was crushing when I was tightening the hose clamp up even with just a screw driver. The muffler tube extension designed to receive the rubber hose is also less than 2 inches in length making it difficult to get both hose clamps to hold well.

Question: Does anyone have an idea on how to improve this and/or get it to seal?

It almost seams like there should be some metal support inside the muffler tube extension to offer some material strength to clamp against.

Sorry I did not have time to take some pictures to help explain.
    Last edited by Lynn Syndrom; 05-26-2011 at 11:29 PM.
    2003 Outback
    Boat name = Lynn Syndrome
    Its a condition that runs in the family...Judy Lynn (mother-in-law) Heather Lynn (wife) & Megan Lynn (daughter)...no known cure...but the boat helps
    New boat for me on 10/9/10.

You can measure the inside diameter and get a sleeve for it or made. You can use just PVC in the plumbers section to add stregth to it. It doesnt take much pressue to hold the hose on though. At the same time it shouldnt be crushing while you tighten it eighter.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Camp on pool 8 of Allegheny River (Adrian, PA)

Thank you for the information and the ideas...I take some measurements of the fiberglass exhaust tube extension and work to get some sort of internal support.

The fiberglass tube extension is weak enough to be flexed by just a mild squeeze and has an overlap seam (at an angle) from the point where the extension meets the large OD section of the exhaust to the end of the final end of the extension.

Kind of disappointed with the design but I agree it should not need musch clamping pressure to seal the hose. I am certainly cautious about not applying a crushing forcee to the clamp.

I greatly appriciate your help...and i'll let ya know how it goes.

Also...I have seen your name on several other posts...great job with those...I have learned allot.
    Mike
    2003 Outback
    Boat name = Lynn Syndrome
    Its a condition that runs in the family...Judy Lynn (mother-in-law) Heather Lynn (wife) & Megan Lynn (daughter)...no known cure...but the boat helps
    New boat for me on 10/9/10.

Toss the worm drive hose clamps and use aircraft style stainless wide band clamps. they have two "ears" that stick up with a threaded rod between them that applies even pressure.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Just installed my muffler not long ago, that hose is such a damn tight fit it hardly needs a clamp. there is really no need to over tighten It won't leak.
    06 XLV

I also have an 03 Outback which I bought brand new.Shortly after I bought it I developed water leaks at both mufflers.The factory must have overtightened the clamps since both mufflers were cracked.The dealer replaced both under warranty.They have been fine ever since.
    jy

Quote Originally Posted by davinci View Post
    Just installed my muffler not long ago, that hose is such a damn tight fit it hardly needs a clamp. there is really no need to over tighten It won't leak.
    I'll echo that remark.
    it's such a tight fit that it's hard enough just getting the muffler and the exhaust hose to fit together. Once they are joined up and snug - I think the double hose clamp is overkill!!
    on my DD I had to be a contortionist just to put it all back together

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet