Default 2000 Moomba outback Turns over but not getting fire or fuel

2000 Outback ran fine however now wont start. The engine turns over but its not getting fire or fuel. I drove the boat Friday and Saturday ran perfect, but let my 21 year old daughter take it out Sunday the 4th of July. She drove it for a couple hours then put out the anchor to float for a while and turned off the boat. After an hour or so she attempted to start the boat and got nothing. It wouldn't turn over, no click no nothing. This has happened to me and it was the battery cable. It happens some times when you drive the boat over severe rough water at high speeds. Which she did. However instead of adjusting the battery cable to messed with the ignition wiring under the dash. She had to be towed in. Once I checked the boat I saw she had blown the breaker for the ignition switch. I reset the switch and was able to get the boat to turn over after tightening the battery cable as well. Now the electronic fuel pump wont kick in and its not getting fire. I checked the fuses on the back side of the engine near the ECM. They were all good but I changed them anyway. Still no luck

Quote Originally Posted by madcadmar View Post
    2000 Outback ran fine however now wont start. The engine turns over but its not getting fire or fuel. I drove the boat Friday and Saturday ran perfect, but let my 21 year old daughter take it out Sunday the 4th of July. She drove it for a couple hours then put out the anchor to float for a while and turned off the boat. After an hour or so she attempted to start the boat and got nothing. It wouldn't turn over, no click no nothing. This has happened to me and it was the battery cable. It happens some times when you drive the boat over severe rough water at high speeds. Which she did. However instead of adjusting the battery cable to messed with the ignition wiring under the dash. She had to be towed in. Once I checked the boat I saw she had blown the breaker for the ignition switch. I reset the switch and was able to get the boat to turn over after tightening the battery cable as well. Now the electronic fuel pump wont kick in and its not getting fire. I checked the fuses on the back side of the engine near the ECM. They were all good but I changed them anyway. Still no luck
    Sounds like you have some serious positive/negative connection issues. If you battery cable keeps coming loose, something is wrong there. I would also check all the grounding connections. After you replaced the fuses, did you check them again after you tried to start it? If you have a short somewhere, it'll blow the fuses right away as soon as you hit the key. The Ignition control module in the distributor is designed to provide spark until the engine hits approximately 200-300 RPM at startup. Then, the ECM takes over. Did you check spark during cranking? Its also strange that the fuel pump doesn't run for 2-3 seconds with the key on. That should happen even if the ECM is bad. There is a troubleshooting guide for these MEFI computer systems, but its pretty detailed in troubleshooting. Not sure what your skill level is. Also, you can buy an inexpensive code reader and check the ECM. Rinda Tech makes one.

Quote Originally Posted by secondsupra2004 View Post
    Sounds like you have some serious positive/negative connection issues. If you battery cable keeps coming loose, something is wrong there. I would also check all the grounding connections. After you replaced the fuses, did you check them again after you tried to start it? If you have a short somewhere, it'll blow the fuses right away as soon as you hit the key. The Ignition control module in the distributor is designed to provide spark until the engine hits approximately 200-300 RPM at startup. Then, the ECM takes over. Did you check spark during cranking? Its also strange that the fuel pump doesn't run for 2-3 seconds with the key on. That should happen even if the ECM is bad. There is a troubleshooting guide for these MEFI computer systems, but its pretty detailed in troubleshooting. Not sure what your skill level is. Also, you can buy an inexpensive code reader and check the ECM. Rinda Tech makes one.
    I did check the fuses again and they were still good. I did also check for spark while trying to start it and had nothing at all. The fuel pump was the first thing I noticed not working when I first got it to turn over. Since I usually hear it before the starter even engages. If the ignition control module was out would the fuel pump stop working?

Quote Originally Posted by madcadmar View Post
    I did check the fuses again and they were still good. I did also check for spark while trying to start it and had nothing at all. The fuel pump was the first thing I noticed not working when I first got it to turn over. Since I usually hear it before the starter even engages. If the ignition control module was out would the fuel pump stop working?
    I don't think the fuel pump and ignition are on the same circuit. Power goes to the fuel pump relay when you hit the key. There is also a relay for the ignition circuit and the starter.
    They are all at the back of the engine just above the trans. All (3) relays are the same. It could be one or both of those went bad when your battery was shorting. If you have no way of checking them, a new one is cheap. Mine takes a Standard Ignition brand RY282.
    In one of my previous posts, the ECM sends a signal to the fuel pump relay at key on. Hopefully your ECM isn't cooked.
    https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....065#post369065
    Last edited by secondsupra2004; 07-08-2021 at 03:38 PM.

[QUOTE=secondsupra2004;370652]I don't think the fuel pump and ignition are on the same circuit. Power goes to the fuel pump relay when you hit the key. There is also a relay for the ignition circuit and the starter.
    They are all at the back of the engine just above the trans. All (3) relays are the same. It could be one or both of those went bad when your battery was shorting. If you have no way of checking them, a new one is cheap. Mine takes a Standard Ignition brand RY282.
    In one of my previous posts, the ECM sends a signal to the fuel pump relay at key on. Hopefully your ECM isn't cooked.
    https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....065#post369065[/QUOT

Well apparently my daughter did more rewriting than she told me. I took it to a friend who knows a few things about wiring and electrical. He could d u see the sash near the ignition and the co troll board things had been unplugged and replugged Into wrong spots. He was able to get the wires In the appropriate spots and fires the boat up. Lesson learned never let my daughter take the boat out unsupervised again. Thanks for all the input.