Default Got my first wakeskate today....

Not sure how exactly to "wakeskate" per se, but we are going to give it a go. Got this board for $129.99 BRAND NEW in plastic. Apparently it was around 70% off of what they are currently going for. So it wasn't an arm and a leg in case I decide that I am never going to wakeskate again.

So now I am going to go have to search the wakeskate forum and see what tips I can pick up.

-Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

Are you barefoot or using those wakeskate shoes? Is that the gritty like grip tape on there or the foam pad?
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

It has some sort of gritty cover on the top deck. It is actually very rough and my feet were not moving very easily across the top. It is similar to what you would find on a skateboard. I can't imagine adding water is going to make this type of material much more slippery.

I haven't picked up any of the skate shoes as of yet, but will try it this weekend or next week without and see how it goes before I go buy the shoes.

Any others have any opinions on whether the shoes are necessary?
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

The grit will be tough on bare feet - take an old pair of tennis shoes with you or some Teva type something or another.

That grit does awesome things to shins and knees too!
    2010 LSV
    2006 Outback V (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by WaterBullDawg1980 View Post
    So now I am going to go have to search the wakeskate forum and see what tips I can pick up.
    Here's my tips... and I suck so they aren't worth much

To get up on the skate, I hold the handle with one hand and the board with the other. Then I like for the driver to barely engage the throttle so the water pressure sucks the board up onto my feet and then I can grab the handle with both hands and not worry about the board moving around. Then just throttle up similar to getting up on a wakeboard.

Tips while riding -
    (1) Don't fall on the board
    (2) Slow it down a little
    (3) Don't fall on the board
    2010 LSV
    2006 Outback V (sold)

129 is a great pprice for a brand new SST. I own a couple, they are a fun skate to ride. The "gritty" stuff is the same grip tape you find on a skateboard, I highly recomend you wear shoes. Get up, carve around and try some lip slides....skating is a lot of fun.