Thread: porpousing

Hybrid View

Default porpousing

I have a 2001 Outback and absolutely love it. When I get close to top speed (40-45 mph), the nose porpouses (bounces) with one or two people in it. Is there a trim tab system I can install to smooth-out the ride? The motor is the stock 310 hp Indmar with a four-blade prop. Thanks.
    Pman

Do you have a ballast system in your boat? They do have a hydraulic wakeplate that can help you trim the wake. I'm not sure it will fit on your boat or not. You might try calling your dealer.

The factory hydraulic wake plate will eliminate the porposing issue. I have a 01 Outback LS with a wake plate. Once the boat begins to porpouse, you pitch the nose down with the wake plate and you are running smooth again.

Pman I'm pretty sure the outback hull cant fit the wake plate/trim tab.I'm sure matt or brian can answer for sure. A simple solution when it is one or two people put a small fat sac filled right beyond the walk thru the added weight will help .I have a 2002 ls with it and it does work.good luck
    CS

Default porpousing

Some say I can install the factory wake plate on the 01 Outback and some say I can't. Does anyone have any dimensions of the wake plate so I can measure my hull? Thanks.
    Pman

Default Dimensions

I'm pretty sure that your hull can take he wakeplate. I've seen other 2001 Outbacks with them. Here are the dimensions.

The wakeplate is 2 foot long measured from side to side.

It looks like from top to bottom you are going to need about 7 1/2" to 8". The plate actually bolts on to the bottom off the hull and will sit just below your exhaust. It has two arms that are used to adjust the plate. These arms are what is mounted 7 1/2" to 8" from the bottom of the hull. I hope that makes sense.

Brian Raymond Guest

Default Porpoises

The Outback in discussion, I assume it is an Outback LS, and not a regular Outback. If it is an LS. there is an optional hydraulic wakeplate available, which I highly recommend. You can fine tune wake characteristics from wakeboarding to slalom to barefootin', all with the touch of a switch. This option is also nice when cruisin' in rough chop, you can trim the plate down to get more keel in the water to break waves for a less rough ride. Check with your dealer for pricing and availability. If this boat is a regular Out back, there is not a wakeplate option, check on how the boat is loaded, and check the running surface for any damages or abnormalties, and as usual,call your dealer to have them check it out. Hope this helps. Brian Raymond