Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Trailer issue help!

So, still a bit cold up here to get out, but needed to pull the boat out to summerize it. Trailer lights worked fine, pulled her out of the garage and I can't back up. This happened once at the beginning of the season a year or two ago. Dealer checked it out and said all was fine. I ran the boat/tailer up and down a rural highway thinking it was just sticking from sitting since October. No such luck. Won't back up.

The wiring harness connections look a bit beat up and I'm thinking that might be the problem. Anyone know where to get new harness (boatmate direct)? It looks like plug and play on the 08 trailers.

Could it be anything else?
    2008 LS

Its the back up wire. I cant recall the exact wire but its on the outside of the factory loom.

Use a jumper to get a 12v signal and the reverse soilnoid will release.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I believe its the blue wire... u can put a penny or nickel in the side of the trailer tongue(in the slot where the acuator travels) this will manually block it out so u can back up... it will also stop the surge brake from working so remove it before u hit the road.

Something else you might want to check are your fuses on your truck. Reverse Lock Out or something like that. I had this exact problem when I got my f250 and one of the fuses under the hood ended up being blown. Try to use a different vehicle and see if it will back up then. If it does, it's a fuse, which would save you a lot of money in the long run of troubleshooting.

It's either Trailer Reverse or something like that. I don't remember the exact name of it.
    Last edited by sicktc06; 05-23-2011 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sicktc06 View Post
    Something else you might want to check are your fuses on your truck. Reverse Lock Out or something like that. I had this exact problem when I got my f250 and one of the fuses under the hood ended up being blown. Try to use a different vehicle and see if it will back up then. If it does, it's a fuse, which would save you a lot of money in the long run of troubleshooting.

It's either Trailer Reverse or something like that. I don't remember the exact name of it.

Yup... both my truck and tahoe blew fuses at one point and my trailer brakes locked up in reverse.

One short term fix is turn your lights on in the tow vehicle and plug the blue wire on the trailer to the brown wire in the vehicle. You can do this with the flat 5 plug, it will only have 1 pin plugged in but you should be able to back up.

PWI as usual...

I will ckeck the fuses, thanks guys.

Another question, can someone with 2008 trailer check to see if the flat 5 prong that attaches to your adapter is only about 4 feet long and has (female?) end at the swing away junction on the trailer. So really it is a flat 5 prong with male on one end and female on the other and about 48inches in length. I wanted to replace this but Jerry at Boatmate said they don't come from the factory like that. Can't order it through Boatmate. I have not found one on line like it either. Just found 2ft and 5ft.

The part numbers on the ends read 53108b1 and 53108c1.

Any info would be great!
    Last edited by KurtL; 05-23-2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: add info
    2008 LS

Quote Originally Posted by KurtL View Post
    So, still a bit cold up here to get out, but needed to pull the boat out to summerize it. Trailer lights worked fine, pulled her out of the garage and I can't back up.

I'm having the same problem in reverse. Didn't seem to notice it last year. Only difference on my system is that some of my lights aren't working.

Thanks to an explanation from mmandley on how the hydraulic system has a solenoid that kicks in, in reverse, I think I solved my issue.

Turns out that my lights issue was a bad ground, which would affect reverse on the trailer. Will know if it's fixed next time I hook up the trailer. But, just in case, I built a "lockout pin" if this doesn't fix the issue.

Thanks mmandley.
    past---------------2003 Outback SOLD
    present------------2006 Supra Launch 21V

Ron

If anyone wants a lockout pin in case ur solenoid malfunctions here they are.. a coin would also work... also iu need any ufp parts for your a60 actuators this place is great....

http://www.pacifictrailers.com/UFP-A...uator-backing/

Guys thanks for the guidance, just need a little more!

So checked fuses. Looks like all are ok. Anyone know if for 2004 silverado I need to look anywhere other than the hood fuse panel.

MMandley, you mentioned something about using a jump to test solenoid. How would you do that? I need details, I'm a complete electrical illiterate!

The boatmate rep e-mailed me this statement below: So how do you do this?

"You need to make sure that you’re getting 12 volts and a good ground to the solenoid (via the blue wire) when you put the vehicle in reverse. It is very unlikely that the solenoid went bad…..it is a very reliable part. We have been using that system since around 1995 and I might sell 3 or 4 solenoids a year (and we build 5000 trailer a year)."

Thanks
    Last edited by KurtL; 06-01-2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: ad info from boatmate
    2008 LS

have you tried on a different vehicle?
    Stephen
    2009 Mobius LSV
    Black and Yellow