Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Lets talk about wake surf boards

Ok guys my wife and I are trying to navigate the plethora of surf boards on the market. We would like to purchase us a new board but don't know anything about them at all. So what do you guys suggest?? Remember we are total rookies at surfing and have never done it before. What is a decent board for us beginners to start out with? Also we don't want to have to take out a loan to buy it. If we like it that much we will upgrade as our skills improve.. So what say you??

Jeromy
    11' Mobius LSV
    " Yes I am a pirate 200yrs too late"

I have found that the Hyperlite Broadcast is a popular beginner board. It was the first board I used as well. It will probably take a season or two to outgrow it before you upgrade.
    2009 Moomba XLV

Look on the Wakesurf thread on this forum. Looks like there is a group buy for Lakewakes surf boards. Sounds like a great price for a custom board. Custom board is night and day better than the wakeboard companies cheeap composit boards.

Also you will outgrow a beginner board very quickly so I suggest starting out with at least an intermediate board.
    Last edited by skylar18; 05-20-2011 at 10:03 AM.
    Skylar18
    2007 Sunsport 22V

There is a group buy going on right now for lake wakes. Several here have them. It is a hand made custom board, and for the price of the group buy, its likely less or close to any beginner board out there. Once you go custom, you will never look back.

Two years ago I would have recommended the Broadcast for a beginner. Now, I'd say get a Broadcast if you can find one used cheap or maybe even borrow one for a couple of weeks. But buy yourself a custom board like the LakeWakes one.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

learned a ton on the broadcast and as mentioned, if cheap, don't hesitiate to pick it up, but I'd lean toward a better board as well.

I have had good luck using my phase5 as a trainer board.

my only advice would be to stay away from skim boards. they are a little too slick for the average person..

ot-anyone wants a deal on a triple xxx text board, dude here locally has 3, 2-54's and a 58 for sale for $250. bet I'd get one for $225. they are blue.
    I'd help ship if someone wants one 208-871-3137 text..
    http://boise.craigslist.org/boa/2389175046.html
    he's one of their sponsored pro riders. these would be demo's that he took out with the intent to sell and didn't. I've ridden the 54 and it's a real nice board.
    Last edited by sandm; 05-20-2011 at 10:18 AM.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I have to agree with the others. Go ahead and spend the money on a good custom board. Grow into your new board, don't grow out of your new board or you will be spending the money anyway on a new board in a few months. Inland Surfer and Phase 5 are great skim style boards. Also, depends on your riding style to intend to accomplish. Spins and tricks go with skim style. Slashing and air, go with surf style. Surf style will not be so loose. Just personal preference.
    '09 OBV

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    It may be worth your while to come on down to Clermont, Fl tomorrow or sunday.

Many wakesurf board manufacturers are going to be represented and you could decide for yourself
    If you see Mike Walker down there can you do me a favour and ask him if I will ever see my wakesurfboard. Seeing how it's the end of the world tomorrow I guess I'll never know...... Trying to get any information form these guys is extremely painful! Like I wasn't warned........
    2011 President's Trophy - Check
    2011 Western Confernece Champs - Check
    2011 Stanley Cup Champs - Not so Much....

2007 Outback V

Pick a weekend Jeromy and my place or yours. You can ride a "beginner" Liquid Force Venture, an Inland Surfer Blue Lake and a few different LakeWakes. Just give me a call.

Drew PM sent
    11' Mobius LSV
    " Yes I am a pirate 200yrs too late"