Default A couple issues …

Took the 21 Makai out for an evening run tonight and ran into a couple of issues. Haven’t had time to dig into them yet, but was looking for some advice on focus areas to investigate tomorrow.

1) When I went to start, the engine didn’t turn over as normal. It took 3 attempts holding for a longer time on start to get it going. Never had this issue until tonight when it happened 2 separate times. Started at the dock as normal, then the next 2 times I shut it down and floated for 30-60 mins, this happened. No new fuel. Thoughts?

2) I have the upgraded Wetsounds system with the SYN-DX amps. I started having some problems with my Cabin speakers (zone 1 on the head unit). As soon as I increase volume, the amp goes into protection mode and cuts out. This is new this week. The fuse looks good and the power/ground wiring is consistent to the other amp for the towers that is working fine. Bad amp or other potential issue?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Makai
    2020 Yamaha 195S (for sale)

Solid or flashing badge on the amp? This gives a code that offers some direction. Protect mode can be an internal amp issue, but there are also a number of external influences. High or low voltage, shorted speaker or speaker circuit, head unit, amp or source unit settings can cause a protect mode.

I guess an obvious question might be your batteries. Do you set your switch to 1,2, or both?
    I always run mine on both, and if Floating for a long time with music up loud, I switch to 1 battery, then back to both again to start.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HFarr; 09-04-2021 at 08:59 AM.
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman10 View Post
    Took the 21 Makai out for an evening run tonight and ran into a couple of issues. Haven’t had time to dig into them yet, but was looking for some advice on focus areas to investigate tomorrow.

1) When I went to start, the engine didn’t turn over as normal. It took 3 attempts holding for a longer time on start to get it going. Never had this issue until tonight when it happened 2 separate times. Started at the dock as normal, then the next 2 times I shut it down and floated for 30-60 mins, this happened. No new fuel. Thoughts?

2) I have the upgraded Wetsounds system with the SYN-DX amps. I started having some problems with my Cabin speakers (zone 1 on the head unit). As soon as I increase volume, the amp goes into protection mode and cuts out. This is new this week. The fuse looks good and the power/ground wiring is consistent to the other amp for the towers that is working fine. Bad amp or other potential issue?

Thanks in advance for the help.

When you are starting your boat are you going from ACC or OFF straight to start or are you turning your key and letting the system boot? I ask bc the fuel pumps prime for the first 10 seconds or so when the key is engaged. I always turn the key ON wait until I hear the fuel pumps finishing priming and then fire the boat up. (Also another tip. It won’t fix your issue but might help in not wearing parts out prematurely. You don’t have to hold the key over on start you can just hit it and it will turn over for a preset amount of time.)

2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

Quote Originally Posted by TXSurf4 View Post
    When you are starting your boat are you going from ACC or OFF straight to start or are you turning your key and letting the system boot? I ask bc the fuel pumps prime for the first 10 seconds or so when the key is engaged. I always turn the key ON wait until I hear the fuel pumps finishing priming and then fire the boat up. (Also another tip. It won’t fix your issue but might help in not wearing parts out prematurely. You don’t have to hold the key over on start you can just hit it and it will turn over for a preset amount of time.)

I was going straight from acc to start. Does placing it in run prime the full pumps, then move to start?

I have been running using both for the batteries. I’ve check the terminal and bus bar connections for the amp and all seem tight. It will play at low volume, but if I attempt to raise it, it goes to protection mode. It gives me a flash of red which according to the manual is short protect channel 1 or 2. Speaker wires possibly touching somewhere?

2021 Makai

Like Txsurf said, you don't have to hold the key on start. Pretend it's a button start. Just bump it on start and let go. It will continue to crank over on its own. Also, you should move from Acc to run, let it sit there for at least 5-10 seconds, then bump it on over to start. (And let go) but it sounds as if you do have a short or fault in your sound system wiring somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Thanks guys. Up and running today. Setting to run to prime the pumps has been working well. Found the speaker set with the short, so disconnected those and the rest are working well. Will have to look into that more later. Thanks again!

2021 Makai

Thanks guys. Up and running today. Setting to run to prime the pumps has been working well. Found the speaker set with the short, so disconnected those and the rest are working well. Will have to look into that more later. Thanks again!

No worries! Glad it is working out for you

2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

Note that this process is only really needed after the engine has been off for a while. If you shut it off just just a few minutes to swap out riders the fuel system should maintain prime during this.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    Note that this process is only really needed after the engine has been off for a while. If you shut it off just just a few minutes to swap out riders the fuel system should maintain prime during this.
    Yep, that’s why I couldn’t figure out what was happening. Weather coming in after floating for a while and trying to hurry the start. Had no issues with the quick restarts.

2021 Makai