Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Angry Swin Platform Broke off - Please help

Ok everyone, yesterday at the lake, we were surfing and my wife noticed our platform went floating away (fiberglass). We circled around to pick it up and when we got off the water, v-groove brackets mounted to the hull were still tight but there are some deep cracks around the gelcoat. The cast aluminum braces mounted to the platform itself were ripped off and the holes for where the pins go through were cracked off. I have pics if anyone wants me to email you the damage. I called John at SC and they told me the 06 and 07 LSV's and even leading in to the 08's were not made for surfing and the platforms were not engineered to have that amount of force applied when surfing. I took it to the dealer and they told me to file a claim as the cracks are bad and I need the new braces and mounts from SC that are engineered for surfing tolerance. SC told me the same thing. Should I do this or is there a better fix????

Please post pics, I would like to see them please...
    Rob Snyder...no not the actor!
    2011 Celestial Blue/Black Accent Moomba Mobius LSV, 340HP

Quote Originally Posted by kayjayfech View Post
    Ok everyone, yesterday at the lake, we were surfing and my wife noticed our platform went floating away (fiberglass). We circled around to pick it up and when we got off the water, v-groove brackets mounted to the hull were still tight but there are some deep cracks around the gelcoat. The cast aluminum braces mounted to the platform itself were ripped off and the holes for where the pins go through were cracked off. I have pics if anyone wants me to email you the damage. I called John at SC and they told me the 06 and 07 LSV's and even leading in to the 08's were not made for surfing and the platforms were not engineered to have that amount of force applied when surfing. I took it to the dealer and they told me to file a claim as the cracks are bad and I need the new braces and mounts from SC that are engineered for surfing tolerance. SC told me the same thing. Should I do this or is there a better fix????
    That's BS about the 06-08 boats not being made for surfing. When Nate (on this forum) had his Supra in to fix damage caused by a collision with another boat, the repairing dealer noted that the screws holding the platform brackets on the transom missed the reinforcing backing plates that they were supposed to screw into. I bet that is what happened to yours and that is why you have the deep cracks in the gelcoat where the brackets are. SC should warranty this.

Please e-mail the pics to me and I will post it to this thread if you don't know how - [email protected]

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Posting these pics on behalf of kayjayfech:

Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I spend almost all my time surfing and haven't had any issues with the transom mounts. That should be on skiers imo. I will say tho that the holes at the bottom of the platform brackets are not uncommon. I know several on here have had the same issue and seems to be a byproduct of the "slop" in the platform.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

That does not look good

One more thing to worrie about

Can someone with a 2011 confirm if the brackets are the same
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Thats nuts. I have never heard of this happening.

Surely this is something that will be taken care of by SC.

Please be sure and let us know if your boat was missing the reinforcing backing plates like Al mentioned. Very strange.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

I am taking the boat in to Action Water Sports tomorrow morning and I will let you all know what happens. I have also spoke to Doug Childress at Skier's Choice and so far he has been real easy to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterBullDawg1980 View Post
    Thats nuts. I have never heard of this happening.

Surely this is something that will be taken care of by SC.

Please be sure and let us know if your boat was missing the reinforcing backing plates like Al mentioned. Very strange.
    If I recall correctly Nates boat wasn't missing the reinforcing backing plates but the installer that sank the swim platform bracket screws missed screwing them into the backing plate.
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

shoot i ripped my swim platform off last year, in my case they screwed some cheesy screws imo (ones in picture) into the glass platform that didn't hold to either surfing, too many people on the platform at once, or a combination of the two. i ended up fixing the problem by putting some black oval headed bolts and nuts on the damn thing versus screws... "yup, that should do it", sucker isn't going anywhere. haven't had a problem since, + i never have had a problem with the bracket to the transom as in your case. (knock on wood)
    Last edited by bbuhtz; 05-17-2011 at 08:57 AM.
    2004 Moomba LSV Blue