Thread: What head unit?

Default What head unit?

I am looking to upgrade. I asked some questions last year about the same thing but never got around to doing it. I have the older wired remote in my 06 mobius LSV. I am cool with upgrading it also. I found a good deal on a KTC rc 100MR. What are some good Head units that will work with this remote? I would like one with a USB drive and a wireless remote also so when I am parked on the shore I can change songs. Would like to explore some options....

Default Old posts.

Well I looked at some of my posts from last year and it looks like it was the x494 that I was looking at before. I wouldn't mind going with an alpine either if i canget a package with a remote also.

I just upgraded to the Kenwood KMR 440u with the MR107 remote and I absolutely love it. You may want to check that out as well.

The Alpine stuff is super nice, but I couldn't find any great deals on them. I got both the Kenwood head unit and remote for under $225 shipped to my door with a little shopping.
    2013 Outback V

Default Remote?

Does the 440 have a wireless remote also?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z View Post
    I am looking to upgrade. I asked some questions last year about the same thing but never got around to doing it. I have the older wired remote in my 06 mobius LSV. I am cool with upgrading it also. I found a good deal on a KTC rc 100MR. What are some good Head units that will work with this remote? I would like one with a USB drive and a wireless remote also so when I am parked on the shore I can change songs. Would like to explore some options....
    I have been looking for a new head unit as well. I have been looking at The Alpine IDA-X100M. It is a really nice unit (but pricey). The best price I have found is $349 on Amazon. You can also get wired remotes. The main wired remote would be a MC20. It is very nice looking also with easy to read buttons etc. The other thing I liked about this head unit is you can get a remote (RF) which comes on a lanyard which you can actually swim with etc. It is water proof and it floats!

Even though it is more expensive than other options I keep coming back to it due to the features above. And yes it has usb control for your mp3 player also.

A buddy of mine had it installed in his truck and he absolutely loves it!
    Troy

2009 Outback V

I put in the CDA118M and absolutly love it. The screen is made to be seen in direct sunlight and it wires up with the MC-20 romote very easily

Morgan,

How long have you had that head unit? How is the radio reception? Did you install an antennae? Is that unit a digital only model? (no cd player)

I was considering that one as well but I wasn't sure if it would fit in my glove box.... I am assuming that you had to do a little cutting???
    Troy

2009 Outback V

Acutally NO CUTTING at all the face plate is larger and it folds down to put in a cd. It fits in any normal sized Head unit .....slot..

I installed this at the beginning of last summer, and used what ever radio antenna was in the boat already, the radio.....It's just like any other radio in my opinion, I mainly use it with my iphone or xm radio and a lot of pandora.

It is a great deck for the water, no fancy colors and screens, just LARGE TEXT that is very visable in sunlight!!

The XM Radio info and Ipod text all are read on the MC-20 also!!

You can also plug in any USB Flash drive with music on it.

I have seen other threads as well talking about the use of Pandora while on the boat. How do you do that? I am assuming you need an internet connection. Are you using the auxilary input with your cell phone or??
    Troy

2009 Outback V

I wonder if the decks that only allow ipod control through the deck would work with Pandora (usb connected)? I have a Kenwood HU in my truck and use Pandora all the time but it has the opton to control my iPhone by hand or through the deck via USB. Have to switch to handheld mode for it to work there if I recall.

If you are connecting to the Aux-in with your phone then it's all good for Pandora with any phone that has it. I've noticed the quality isn't quite as good as MP3, CD, etc. Kind of like listening to the radio. Cool to have a variety of stuff that I wouldn't normally have on my playlists though.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...