Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red face new impeller install

On the weekend I was winterizing my boat and changing all of the fluids. I was waiting for the fluid extractor to suck up my oil and I thought maybe I should change my impeller................. I have done it in the past with mixed results.
    I read some where that a guy had used WD40 to help with the process.
    I removed the 4 brass bolts/screws and carefully removed the cover of the impeller, I then sprayed quiet a bit of WD40 into the impeller housing, they i "bumped the engine over a few turns" sprayed more wd40 and bumped engine over a few more turns. I used one "paint can opener" and it slid out right away.
    When I inspected the impeller i was surprised I was missing a blade as it was only about 65 hours old.
    I sprayed wd40 all over the new impeller and it slid right back into place.
    Put cover back on and that was it.
    total time 5 min, didnt even try to drink a beer while doing it.

Anyway I posted this because I have spent about 1.5 hours trying to get my impeller out with out wd40 and a very long time trying to get it back in.
    2017 Helix

Wakemakers 1050s
    Bow bag ( Surf edition)
    Autowake

I found an impeller in the "glove box", not sure if its new or not. I'll have to look into this and see if mine needs replacing. I don't even know where it's located yet. I'm still learning about the boat.

I have always heard that it is better to replace the impeller in the spring instead of the winter so the new impeller isn't just sitting in the housing all winter. In fact I think as part of the winterization process they suggest you take the impeller out and leave it out until spring and then put it back in.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    I have always heard that it is better to replace the impeller in the spring instead of the winter so the new impeller isn't just sitting in the housing all winter. In fact I think as part of the winterization process they suggest you take the impeller out and leave it out until spring and then put it back in.
    hey, maybe that's why its in by the radio. I'll have to check it out. looks like I have some learning to do. Good thing I have the boat in my heated shop so I can tinker on it. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by saskie99 View Post
    total time 5 min, didnt even try to drink a beer while doing it.

That is just plain wrong, you need to go redo that job so its done correctly.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by Jer119 View Post
    I found an impeller in the "glove box", not sure if its new or not. I'll have to look into this and see if mine needs replacing. I don't even know where it's located yet. I'm still learning about the boat.
    that is most likely a old impellar as most people will save the old impellar for a year or 2 as a spare or to give to another boater in need while out on the lake.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Saskie99, go Riders go. Are you going to the Grey Cup on Sunday? Where are you located?
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV Ballast III (stock), Heater, Roswell Quad Spin Pro, Bimini

Default new impeller install

Any concerns with WD40 used for this? I tend to use it a lot but.....
    2011 Mobius LSV

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    That is just plain wrong, you need to go redo that job so its done correctly.
    as a penalty, re-doing 5 minute job should now take 3hrs and a 6pk to ensure the beer gods don't curse the job
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    as a penalty, re-doing 5 minute job should now take 3hrs and a 6pk to ensure the beer gods don't curse the job
    Yes it should, but I was in a hurry! And yes GO RIDERS!! I am located in Melfort Saskatchewan.
    I wouldnt be concerned about wd40, it is non corrosive so you shouldnt have any problems. I have read you are supposed to remove impeller at the end of the season but I fill my boat with antifreeze and I have been putting in new impeller at the end of almost every season and leaving it in with no problems.
    2017 Helix

Wakemakers 1050s
    Bow bag ( Surf edition)
    Autowake