Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question IN-HULL Fish Finder/GPS TRANSDUCER

Anyone know if a Mobius hull is ideal for an in-hull transducer? Not the kind that you drill a hole, the one that gets epoxy and sticks to the inside of the hull and shoots through the fiberglass. I want one so I can map the bottom of lakes but don't want to drill into the hull. They make some good ones but I just don't know how thick the hull is or the best spot to mount it.

Anyone out there have one?
    2014 MOBIUS LSV, Gravity III Ballast, OZ Tower, Heater, 330HP Indmar 5.7L, Tandem Axle Trailer.

Most do have the through hull transducer puck epoxied to the bottom of the hull - typically forward of any ballast thru hulls. So that means near the gas tank in the bilge area.

Hull is may be 1/2-5/8" thick I'd estimate.

I'd be curious where you plan to mount the screen for the fish finder.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Looking at a Humminbird Helix 5...probably mount the screen to the side wall near the audio remote. So you're saying you think there's one already there to plug into?
    2014 MOBIUS LSV, Gravity III Ballast, OZ Tower, Heater, 330HP Indmar 5.7L, Tandem Axle Trailer.

Default IN-HULL Fish Finder/GPS TRANSDUCER

I used to be heavily involved with Humminbird Side Imaging. I don't think that a typical epoxied puck works very well with the SI unless things have changed. I can tell you with pretty high confidence that the existing transducer will not work.
    Matt
    2021 Mojo
    2016 Mojo (sold)
    2012 LSV (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Woody929 View Post
    I can tell you with pretty high confidence that the existing transducer will not work.
    Agreed....
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Well, i just talked to Skiers Choice and they verified that the transducer already installed with the factory depth finder is an Airmar P74.

http://pdf.nauticexpo.com/pdf/airmar...646-34112.html

It's an In-hull, which means it's epoxied from the factory. I called Airmar and they confirmed it CAN be used with the Humminbird Helix 5 series sonar gps. It isn't compatible with the DI model though but it can hook up to the regular Helix 5 with sonar. It's 600W, 50/200khz, 4800 Peak to peak. It will be less sensitive than one mounted through the hull but it splices right in to the factory transducer using a 600w mix and match cable.

I got the cable at http://www.blueheronmarine.com/mix-a...minbird-mm-hb/

This was all verified through Skiers Choice & Airmar. The tech at Airmar sent me the schematics because the transducer will have to be spliced into the cable which plugs into the display unit.

It's on order now. Should be here in a few days. I'll post the results and let you guys know how it works.

I do miss the side scan units, and I'll be interested in how it works. Back 7/8 years ago when they released the 700/900 series I developed the first freeware software package to play the recordings back on a computer.
    Matt
    2021 Mojo
    2016 Mojo (sold)
    2012 LSV (sold)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Woody929 View Post
    I do miss the side scan units, and I'll be interested in how it works. Back 7/8 years ago when they released the 700/900 series I developed the first freeware software package to play the recordings back on a computer.
    Nice!...I'm interested to see how it works too. There's only 3 wires to splice. Looks like a really easy install. My only concern now is the paddlewheel. I didn't ask if the water temp is measured using the paddlewheel transducer. I assume the Moomba depth finder is all that's connected to that transducer and the paddlewheel and water temp are separate (I hope so)....I can't find any information on how it's wired to the dash. Guess I'll find out when I get in there.

It would suck if I get it all wired up and find out the Humminbird works but then my dash display stops reading speed and water temp.

It's all really a pain in the ass. I wish there was an option from the factory to have a DI sonar installed. Those depth finder gauges just don't give me enough peace of mind. I want to know whats under me.

91-027-rev04-b.jpg

91-1118-rev01-b.jpg

Here is the factory Gauge and Transducer diagram. Also attached a pic of the cable that you have to buy to cut and splice. Airmar says: TRANSDUCER BLUE to CABLE BLACK, TRANSDUCER BLACK to CABLE SHIELD WIRE, and TRANSDUCER BARE to CABLE SHIELD WIRE....

And that's it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BlatinD; 04-02-2015 at 06:57 AM.

the hole for routing the wires. Mounting it near the stereo remote with a RAM mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk