Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Possible Starter Issue?

When I pulled the boat out from winter i replaced the batteries as mine were now 5 years old. Tried to crank over the motor and it gives me a click. About every 5th or so turn the motor turns over.

I cleaned off some corrosion on the terminals at the starter and rechecked the terminals at the battery. 2 weekends ago it was turning over about every other time. Last weekend i was back to it turning over every 5th or so. Each time it doesnt crank, i get a click somewhere near the starter.

Does this sound like a starter going out? Any other possible ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

is it a rapid click or just one single click? sounds like a starter
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Cheap way, put jumper cables on from your truck. Less expensive way: take the battery to an auto parts store and have them check it under load. Those will take battery issues out of the equation, then you can check the starter.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Could be the solenoid. Might be cheaper. Take it to any autoparts place and they'll check it for free typically.

PWI as usual...

It definitely sounds like the solenoid.much easier removing the entie starter though
    just 2 bolts and have the whole thing rebuilt new for about $60
    06 XLV

It only clicks once.

Batteries are out of the question since they are brand new. Plus if the batteries were dead it wouldn't crank over every so often.

If i crossover the solenoid it pops everytime, not sure if that means it is necessarily good, though.

If we are only talking $60 I think I'll pull em and have it rebuilt. Is a rebuilt starter the way to go versus a new one?
    2016 Moomba Mojo

My money is on solenoid. What your hearing is the contacts closing and the solenoid not engaging the starter to spin.

Another issue it might be is the solenoid engaging and the starting sticking.

Eighter way you replace them as a pair. Its just smarter that way. You wont be able to get a rebuild for the boat for 60 bucks lol.

Rebuild is fine but it needs to be a marine use starter due to the electrical hazards.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

KG what motor do you have in there...I might be able to get get you a brand new one for 60$ plus shipping (yes a marine one)
    06 XLV

Quote Originally Posted by davinci View Post
    KG what motor do you have in there...I might be able to get get you a brand new one for 60$ plus shipping (yes a marine one)
    I have the 340 Cat. That would be awesome if you could. The Indmar is $277.28 for the pair and about $77 for solenoid only.
    2016 Moomba Mojo

if you jump the solinoid and it crankes every time , but only works every 5th time with the key, does it click each time with a key turn? i would bank that if you jump it at the solinoid you have corrosion on a connection. take the cables off , use a wire brush on all conection points and re tighten with a dab of dielectric grease. do the supply and trigger lines at the starter and at the key. hope that helps