Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by WaterBullDawg1980 View Post
    From my limited reading thus far, it seems to me like it would make more sense to only buy a dual bank charger as opposed to upgrading your alternator if you have a semi serious stereo (3 amps, tower speakers etc) correct?

Newty, I think you had said you had upgraded your alternator. Did you also add the dual bank charger? I couldn't remember.

Sounds like I may need to do this. I haven't had a battery problem before, but my stereo is about to get a slight overhaul and will be using more power than in the past. I have two batteries already, but possibly will look at getting a third. Any rule of thumb as to when may be the right time to do this?
    If you have AC power where you store your boat, then the more economical solution is to go with an onboard dual bank charger. Just plug it in once you put the boat away and you’re batteries will be fully charged next time out. If you don’t have AC power, then a larger alternator will help ensure that your batteries are getting charged as much as possible when the engine is running since they won’t get charged any other way. Even still, the batteries may not get fully charged depending on how much you run your boat vs play the stereo at rest.

As far as three batteries vs two, that will depend on your usage habits. If you sit at party cove for several hours at a time with your stereo cranked up, then you will probably want two stereo batteries to ensure you don’t run out of juice. Otherwise, you can probably get away with just one stereo battery.

In my case, one stereo battery probably would have been just fine but we go on several 3&4 day trips each summer where we don’t have access to AC power at night. Since we play the stereo at rest quite a bit, the batteries are not getting fully recharged from just running the boat so they could become discharged by the 3rd or 4th day. This exact scenario happened to me two summers ago. So that’s why I decided to go ahead and add a third battery. The cost to do so is not significant – about $100 all together in my case – so it was worth it to me.

The above also depends on what class amps you have (class D are more efficient than the typical A/B) and what load your amps are driving (a 2 ohm load requires twice as much current as a 4 ohm load at the same output).

That’s my take on it anyway.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Thanks Al! This helped clear things up for me.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

Razz, What did you get your charger for if you don't mind me asking?

I am doing a bit of shopping and the best deal I have found thus far is $139.99 with free shipping. Unless I went with a refurb and then they have them for around $100.

This is for the 2 battery, 20 amp model
    Last edited by WaterBullDawg1980; 05-27-2011 at 11:21 AM.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

I went refurb on ebay, ChargerGuy. Real good to work with and 90 day warrenty. works flawlessly.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Yup thats who I saw on there. Good deal. I'm going to pick one up.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8

-John Wooden