Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton View Post
    Do you guys play a ton without the engine running? What is the point of an onboard charger when you have an alternator recharging while your running?
    This is for more than just when on the water Ian, it's also for the maintenance factor. Also the peace of mind that if I do play over my normal the alt is not overworking trying to recharge as David explained to me on the phone.
    2007 Mobius LSV

bhowell,
    An alternator is a dumb device that is intended to supply and maintain. It can't profile and condition the batteries independently. It wasn't designed to address any more than the boat electronics. That is why a fisherman doesn't depend on a stator or alternator to recharge his trolling motor bank. Its basically unheard of. And a 40 amp or more trolling motor fighting a headwind all day has alot in common with our stereo usage and nothing in common with the usage of an alternator in a car, truck or boat...as intended. Plus, alot of people are using an ACR/VSR which almost guarantees that you are putting your boat into storage with a partially depleted battery. Add to that the fact that batteries self-discharge several percent a month. If you play your system at rest and you have an audio system that draws substantial current and you have no plans of burning a tank of gas while the stereo is shut down, then an AC shore charger is a great investment that will enhance your stereo performance, increase play time at rest and extend your battery longevity. Skip over the tender/maintainer/trickle variety of chargers as they are only adequate for an occassionally driven hot rod, third airport vehicle, motorcycle, ATV/UTV, tractor, etc. where the vehicle is always put into storage with a fully charged battery.

David
    Earmark Marine

my problem is my storage unit has no place to plug in a battery charger even if i wanted one in my boat. It is a pain in the ass to pull the batteries out and take them to the house so I just keep my Perko on "all" unless i stop and just rock tunes. Then it goes to "1" but as soon as the boat is started I swap it back to all...
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

I've got the ProSport20 Gen 2 which was adequate when I had two batteries totaling about 165AH. Now that I have three batteries totaling 305AH, the ProSport20 no longer meets the 10-13% rule so I have to rig up a switch that will allow me to charge just one bank at a time. Even then, 20A will not be enough to properly desulfate my two Group 29 stereo batteries which are rated 125AH each.

I am probably looking at buying two separate chargers in the future if I want to do this right.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

rdlangston13,
    With potentially 2400 watts running at 50 percent efficiency divided by 13 volts divided by the dynamic nature of music, at full power your audio system plus boat operations can exceed the capacity of your factory alternator. When this happens the extra current demands are pulled from your batteries including the starting bank when your switch is in the 'ALL' position. When the batteries are well discharged then they become an extra load and a liability to your charging system. Once you pass a current draw threshold and whether or not you play at rest for long periods, a shore AC charger becomes essential. It simply becomes part of the price of admission for larger audio systems.

David
    Earmark Marine

So for those with the ProMariner Pro Sport 20, when the batts are fully charged is there only one (1) green ready led lit? That's what mine's showing now along with the blue power light. The manual is pretty vague on whether it's one green for each batt or one total.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    So for those with the ProMariner Pro Sport 20, when the batts are fully charged is there only one (1) green ready led lit? That's what mine's showing now along with the blue power light. The manual is pretty vague on whether it's one green for each batt or one total.
    Yes, one green light indicating that both batteries are fully charged.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Awesome Al! Thanks
    2007 Mobius LSV

Well good news. I now have a new storage unit that does have electrical outlets so it looks like a battery charger is in my near future. Reckon I'll pick up an additional stereo battery while I am at it
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

From my limited reading thus far, it seems to me like it would make more sense to only buy a dual bank charger as opposed to upgrading your alternator if you have a semi serious stereo (3 amps, tower speakers etc) correct?

Newty, I think you had said you had upgraded your alternator. Did you also add the dual bank charger? I couldn't remember.

Sounds like I may need to do this. I haven't had a battery problem before, but my stereo is about to get a slight overhaul and will be using more power than in the past. I have two batteries already, but possibly will look at getting a third. Any rule of thumb as to when may be the right time to do this?
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden