Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I wanted to follow up with some additional information.

I ordered an 18" SSC15418 cable. Based on the Teleflex formula for measuring the plastic and adding 30", I should have expecte the cable to be 18'10". Guess what, when I removed the old cable it was exactly 10" longer than the new 18' cable I had in hand. Fortunately, I had enough slack to make the 18' cable work. I HIGHLY recommend getting the 19' cable, and/or using the Teleflex formula to figure out the length.

The new cable turns like butter with no slack. I have a new problem. When I go full power, I get a "rattle" transmitted up the cable all the way to the steering column. Everything is tight. It's either in the clamp block or the U-shaped fitting that wraps around the bolt on the rudder arm. I've got a little slack in both of them. Anyone else have this problem?

Jimmy

Full power going straight or full power in a turn with a lot of pressure on the rudder?
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Full power going straight or full power in a turn with a lot of pressure on the rudder?
    Typically at full power going straight, when the rudder is unloaded. But, it can be in a turn as well. It is not consistent, as if the drive shaft is bent. I can reach under the dash and feel the cable transmitting the "rattle" to the helm. I get the impression that when there is a lot of turbulence against the rudder, something in the steering system is worn and has too much play in it, causing the vibration.

When I checked to make sure everything was tight, it seems that the clamp block might move against it's stop and create the same "rattle?" I'm not familiar with how much play is allowed in that system.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=1712

I've taken the rudder chatter/vibration issue to this thread.