Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

I had good experience with BM. My hub seals were leaking 8 months after purchase. Replaced under warranty and my dealer either worked with them or ate the cost on labor. Trailered less than 1000 mi a year, always stored inside. I added 18" wheels and stainless fenders last year and it rides much better (tandem trailer). Just hit 5 years old and need carpet this year on the bunks.

Do the newer trailers still have bearing buddies or are they a sealed unit? I have the buddies and only concern I've had is one of the hubs seems to be more hungry for grease than the others when I check them but doesn't appear to be leaking. I'm thinking it gets hotter and breaks it down faster.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Do the newer trailers still have bearing buddies or are they a sealed unit? I have the buddies and only concern I've had is one of the hubs seems to be more hungry for grease than the others when I check them but doesn't appear to be leaking. I'm thinking it gets hotter and breaks it down faster.
    i have the vault "maintenance free" system. i have no clue how it works and that scares me
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    i have the vault "maintenance free" system. i have no clue how it works and that scares me

Don't worry to much. Every time before you tow take a look at the inside and outside of the wheel and see if any oil has leaked out-it will leave a shiny trail down and puddle slightly on the rim lip-if no leak you should be good to go. If you see any, get the seals replaced pronto.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I am with berger on this one. My trailer is a 2001, and I have had zero trouble with it and it still looks excellent. Of the towboat trailers that I have seen, I still prefer Boatmate. I think the Mastercraft ones with the plastic fenders are crap. I am also not a big fan of the Nautique ones (Prestige?) I think Tige just switched to Boatmate. Malibu uses them too. It sounds like the torsion axles suck. I have the leaf springs, and I am guessing that berger has leaf springs as well.

Yessir - Leaf Springs.

My buddy's Bu rides on an Extreme trailer, but I don't recall the suspension. He's had a few problems with the sealed hubs and bearings going out though and his is a 2009 if I remember.

well when i get home from work i am towing mine 180 miles to the lake and 180 miles back. keep your fingers crossed for me lol
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Well I for one will be having a Dos Equis on your behalf. Good luck man!

i might run it by the bass pro shop before i leave so they can check out the bearings and such, i have no idea how that vault is supposed to work
    David

I have a theory about the torsion axles, or tandem axle trailers in general. I see a lot of people towing tandem trailers that are not level. Obviously, if a tandem axle trailer is being towed unlevel, then there will be more stress on one axle or the other. In the case of a torsion axle, it may "fail", or with a leaf spring axle, the spring may break. Either way, if one axle does fail, then most of the weight will shift onto the other axle, causing it to fail fairly quickly as well. This is assuming that with a tandem axle trailer, each axle is rated for about half of the weight of the load. If that is the case, then the idea of getting a tandem trailer that has an "extra" pair of wheels, "just in case" would not be very beneficial at all.

Also, I think with the tandem torsion axles, each axle is acting completely independent of each other, isn't it? With the tandem leaf springs, don't they share a common spring hanger between the axles? This might be better for weight transfer/distribution in case of a failure?

I also wonder about when trailering with a tandem axle trailer, what happens when the trailer is towed across an uneven surface or up a slope, like into a gas station. There would appear to be a moment when the load on one axle would be spike up pretty high, and the other axle load would dramatically decrease, while the axles travel over the surface. I know you guys have seen a tandem trailer before with one wheel off the ground. I wonder how many times the axles can withstand that spike in load before failing?

I don't really know, these are just some thoughts I had this weekend. I noticed my buddy's setup this weekend and it got my brain churning. He has a 2011 Tige RZ2 with a tandem Boatmate trailer that he tows with a F250 Powerstroke. I noticed that his trailer does not sit level with the boat on it. His rides higher in the rear, maybe 2 or 3 inches or so. I know some guys think this is better to keep the prop guard from bottoming out, but I disagree. I couldn't help but think about the extra stress on that front axle bouncing down the road at 60 mph.

I could be completely off base, but I wonder if there is any corelation between torsion axle failures on tandem trailers, and trailers being towed while not level? I also wonder how many single axle torsion axles have failed? Trailers should be level ya'll!

And as far as the finish on the trailers, I polish and wax my trailer every year with the same Mequiars products that I use on my boat, and I think it helps a lot. It is kind of a pain, but I think it is worth it.

What do you all think?