Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default F- to Boatmate Trailers

Both of my axle's gave out on my 1 year old Boatmate trailer. Boatmate in their generousity replaced them both but,....they not only made pay to get them installed at $250.00, I also had to pay to have the boat hoisted to get at the trailer another $200. I love my Moomba but I can't believe that I have have to pay for the labor on a factory issue, less than one year after I bought the boat.
    08 LSV, Perfect Pass, Grav III, 325 Indmar Assault and I love it!

That stinks.

I actually was planning to call down to them, as my trailer (which is stored indoors 300 days out of the year) is only 3 years old and rusting in several areas.
    2013 Outback V

Good luck with that, I hope you have better luck than I did!
    08 LSV, Perfect Pass, Grav III, 325 Indmar Assault and I love it!

I had several issues w my trailer that was only 3 months old. It was mainly in the finish. I was told in an e mail, that I still have, that they won't fix it because "its going to rust soon anyways". Not real happy w them and if I would have known then what I know now I would have bought a trailer from a different manufacturer.
    REALLY????

Mine is all rusted and its a 2008. Boooo!
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

Same issue, i have cracked paint, i have air bubbles in the paint thats not cracked and i have rust around some of the welds. I went the AWS and SC trying to get them to push on Boat Mate and no go.

Basically the only warranty you get with paint is if its chipping off when you buy the trailer.

Other then that parts are warrantied for 1 year but its Parts not labor. When i buy my next boat i will be much more aware of the trailer and what type i can get or will get.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I thought the world of boatmate when I ordered my spare tire holder in the factory color for a song, but in replacing the step pads last weekend, I found the start of surface rust. called the dealer here. he told me that he was surprised that it wasn't worse. apparently the paint is the issue that they use and told me he sees it worse on newer trailers. basically an oh well moment. told me the only way to guarantee no rust is to buy a galvinized trailer. cousin has a dhm trailer under his tige and he has some of the same issues(although not quite as bad) so I'm not real upset at it. I guess if I would have paid 100k for an x25, I would not expect to see issues, but I certainly don't expect to have it remain perfect for years..

now having to pay labor rates on a product like a trailer within the first 2-3 years, especially considering the low mileage put on most trailers, that's a different story. should be 5year mechanical. heck, if kia can offer 100k warranty on it's parts.....
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I have owned several, 10+, trailers and never had an issue like I do w BM. I have ordered custom trailers and kept them for 3+ years and used them in salt water w no issues.
    If I would have known this before it would have been a lot different.
    I have never, nor will I ,owned a galvinized trailer. This trailer was 6 years old when I sold the boat and was perfect w the exception of the wheels around the lugs from the salt. I had an issue w it after 2 years where it was starting to crack at a few of the welds. I called the builder, he fixed it and re powdercoated it. All for no charge.

This trailer is all aluminum. Boat weighed 8200 lbs plus gear and fuel, 220 gallons. Was powdercoated, LED lights, electric brakes, electric jack, battery, storage box and swing rear drive gaurd.
    REALLY????

My front axle failed 9 months after purchase and replaced under warranty. Rear axle failed 5 months after warranty ran out but Boatmate covered it and sent me a new axle. I installed both axles so no labor...just a little over an hour of my time. However, on my first failed axle boatmate stated to me that IF I needed to tow my boat/trailer on a flatbed carrier that UPF who is the axle manufacturer would reimburse my fees. I didn't have to go that route and glad I didn't have to try to get my money back.
    Last edited by you da man; 05-02-2011 at 06:12 PM.

outbackv, I think the primary difference is powdercoating. I tried to get some factory match paint from the local paint supplier. boatmate is using an odd type of dupont paint that is not "off the shelf". dealer told me they use a coating over it when done, think he said phosphorous to help protect it, but it's only paint. a pc trailer should last for years.
    depending on the color(orange here), you will not be able to get a factory match touchup kit either. it requires several catalysts that are quite expensive. I was quoted in the $250-300 range for an exact match quart of the color and all the additives to get it to harden.

I think your success has to do with the key words "custom built". betting that trailer under your boat above was almost 1/4 the cost of your moomba otd
    go back to that same builder and tell him you want a ski boat trailer, complete, brand new and otd for under 2.5k. bet it's just like what you are dealing with now if he will even touch it.
    Last edited by sandm; 05-02-2011 at 07:00 PM.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten