Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Replying to Topic 'price for used 2003 Mobius, good price?'

Smokedog you are an evil man.

Based on your logic, I pondered it all night long. In fact, i had difficulty sleeping. The paperwork from my bank for the 2003 showed up this AM. I woke my wife and said we should not factor out the cost per hour of new versus used, etc, etc. i showed her the figures.

I told her she had a emotional fixation to the cost, rather than looking at other tangible, but hard to measure, factors. I ended up convincing her to let me call a few dealers.

After all was said and done I got a fine deal (i hope) on a new Mobius LS. We ended up agreeing on 32,900, plus tax and license. I went and looked at it, and plopped down a 2900 dollar deposit.

-Wakeboard plate
    -heater
    -pop up cleats
    -bimini
    -Perfect Pass
    -fold away tongue
    -325 MPI engine
    -standard cover
    -AM/FM/MP3/CD player
    -single axle trailer

Cost per hour remains the same as the 2003 (around 33 bucks/hour), but factor in i get a couple of years covered under a warranty and I know implicitly the history of the boat.

Thanks for your help, and helping me to see things in a different way.

John

Default Replying to Topic 'p

Sweet

Yea, I get a lot of those different and different way comments. Sometimes they say interesting. Out of the box is also a term used. Sometimes I'm told to get back in the box and they close the lid.

You got a good deal, I'm pretty sure of that but you left out the color. What color!

I’m 44 and have never bought anything new, I was a firm believer in letting someone else take the depreciation. However, my opinion is that right now, things are messed up. I bought two new cars and a new boat in the last year. All of them financed at rates lower than my mortgage and all financed for 5-10 years, insuring that I will be upside down forever. But I’m upside down on super cheap money in a period where everyone knows interest rates are going up. If they go up 2% in the next two years you have saved about $4,000 on your boat ($30,000 loan) just in interest. Historically consumer product interest is in the 8-10% range. Money is stupid cheap right now. Like you I drive my cars 100,000 miles. I also unload them about then because I need a dependable car and do not have time to be in the shop. I think I know one reason why money is cheap, Fannie May (sp?) buried 11 Billion in bad debt and I think that is the tip of the ice berg. When institution run the numbers for calculating the interest rate they will charge, not accounting for bad debt really influences the rate you think you can charge. Those calculations right now are wrong, thus the anomaly where consumer debt is cheaper than mortgage debt.

Since I’m on a roll. A second reason things are messed up is the decision 20 years ago to not give a tax deduction for credit card debt. That pushed the consumer debt into mortgage debt. Thus consumer debt prices are low (less demand), at the expense of record foreclosures because people bet their house and their income, rather than just their income.

As long as you keep your consumer products for a very long time. As long as you are buying quality products that you want/need. As long as you can really afford it. Now is a great time to be in debt. Right now - most of the world is up to their eyeballs in stupid debt. Cloth and injection molded plastic throughout the house on credit cards that are not cheap.

If you trade up in 3-5 years or less you have accomplished nothing. If paying less in interest on your boat than all the fancy new ones will bring you happiness (it will me) your going to have a ball with that boat.

In the end, a boat is not an investment. It is a toy. You can only get a return on it if you use it. My goal is 1,000 hours before the last payment. See ya on the water.

SD2

- Ask about running synthetic oil. I hear in boats it can really help if you plan to keep the boat a long time.

- My wife liked the boat. Mine is red.
    Naked red and white 2005 Moomba LSV
    Teaching my kids to Ride, Shoot Strait and Tell the Truth

i run synthetic in all my devices. Always have. i had a VW GTI go 240,000 miles on it before i sold it to a young kid. Compression was the same as new.

I wanted red or yellow, but ended up with Brittany Blue. My wife wanted yellow, but did not want to wait until June if we ordered it. They said late May, which to me meant, sometime before Labor Day.

Oh well, she likes the color. I'll grow to like it. I don't dislike it

I like red, I would have preferred blue. The wife and I hate yellow.

(That's a joke)

Are you going with USAA for insurance? I did not shop them. They cover everything else and I 've been very happy so I just put it on the policy.

Yeah, USAA for both the loan and the insurance. i have been with them since 1983. Dang, I have renter, home owner, 2 cars, a motorcycle, life insurance with them. Now I have a boat loan and boat insurance. What a great company.

Did you go with them for your insurance? I'm a retired army officer. I know they have differing rates, depending on your affiliation with the military. I did not even check with anyone else. I think it works out to about 440/year.

Yeah, USAA for both the loan and the insurance. i have been with them since 1983. Dang, I have renter, home owner, 2 cars, a motorcycle, life insurance with them. Now I have a boat loan and boat insurance. What a great company.

Did you go with them for your insurance? I'm a retired army officer. I know they have differing rates, depending on your affiliation with the military. I did not even check with anyone else. I think it works out to about 440/year.

Air Force Reserve Officer. Eight years active and about the same in the reserves. I figure new boat, new car - orders to the sandbox are probably in the mailbox as we speak. I wish I could laugh at that prospect. I’m hoping for one more year so that my youngest is in school but with 150,000+ reservists deployed and most of the active force on their second rotation, someone is going to notice me sooner than later. Then again I’ve always said “I’d rather be lucky than good, luck is more reliable.”

I did not shop USAA’s insurance either, $454, they have never been beat. They insure just about everything of mine. I refuse to add it up, my wife might see it.

I used a local bank for the boat loan, it cost me .1% more than USAAS but it was just easier. Besides I owed the banker a favor.

Watch those motorcycles, the ER Doc’s call them Donor Scooters.

SD2