Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default weighting an XLV for surfing

I have an 05 XLV that we surf behind. I have the stock ballast in the ski locker that we fill pretty much full. I think I have 750's in each side of the v drive. I added one of the stock bags for under the passenger seat for surfing normal. Does anyone add ballast under the very front to lengthen the surf wave. Mine seems too steep.

I have an '08 XLV and so far I think I run the heaviest ballast I've seen for surfing it. Keep in mind me and my girl are goofy riders but I have set mine up for regular. For regular I have 1100lb v-drive sac, 1180 center sac, 400lb sac on surf side seat, 400lb sac in bow, 250-300lbs in opposite side 1100lb sac for extra weight to get the ass end of the boat down (this does add push to the wake). For regular speed is 11-11.5mph and around 3000-3100lbs of ballast. For the goofy side besides the 1100 v-drive, 1180 center, and 400 in the bow, ill add 400 under the seat, 400 on top of the seat, and 400 across the back seat but towards the goofy side. So 3700-3800lbs to surf goofy with a nice big, long wake, at 12-12.5 mph. The regular side has a little better shape to the wake. Oh, and I never have more than 4 total in my boat but usually just me and my girl 90% of the time

Quote Originally Posted by you da man View Post
    I have an '08 XLV and so far I think I run the heaviest ballast I've seen for surfing it. Keep in mind me and my girl are goofy riders but I have set mine up for regular. For regular I have 1100lb v-drive sac, 1180 center sac, 400lb sac on surf side seat, 400lb sac in bow, 250-300lbs in opposite side 1100lb sac for extra weight to get the ass end of the boat down (this does add push to the wake). For regular speed is 11-11.5mph and around 3000-3100lbs of ballast. For the goofy side besides the 1100 v-drive, 1180 center, and 400 in the bow, ill add 400 under the seat, 400 on top of the seat, and 400 across the back seat but towards the goofy side. So 3700-3800lbs to surf goofy with a nice big, long wake, at 12-12.5 mph. The regular side has a little better shape to the wake. Oh, and I never have more than 4 total in my boat but usually just me and my girl 90% of the time
    how long does it take you to get ready to surf?
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Also You da man

Which of your bags are plumbed in and how do you fill the ones on the seat? Do you use an overboard pump or are they hardwired/plumbed in? All mine sit under my seat which is clean but we get an ok wave, nothing spectacular. It rocks for wakeboarding. I usually surf at 9-10 mph (if my perfect pass is right)

Quote Originally Posted by flydoc View Post
    Also You da man

Which of your bags are plumbed in and how do you fill the ones on the seat? Do you use an overboard pump or are they hardwired/plumbed in? All mine sit under my seat which is clean but we get an ok wave, nothing spectacular. It rocks for wakeboarding. I usually surf at 9-10 mph (if my perfect pass is right)
    I have 2 external pumps to fill the extra sacs. It's not bad at all filling or draining. Like I said it's only my girl and I on my boat so we both fill the extra sacs. I don't want an "ok" wake to surf, I want a good wake with a good pocket to play in...not just cruise. It takes the 1100 v-drive sac to begin to list the boat over. The 1180 center sac puts more hull in the water to displace. I don't see how you can get a clean wake at 9mph. Mine is all wash at 9mph even before the extra sacs. I've surfed up to 13mph before but it's work on the legs.

I obviously need more weight. My wake is a little washy and the pocket is really small. How do you get the v sac in the bin? Is it l shaped and hangs goes under to the next bin? Sorry if I'm clueless I can't visualize it yet. Thanks for the info I'd really like to improve my surf wake. How sluggish is the boat with all that weight?

The 1100 sac is kinda like a larger 750. It fills the entire compartment. I have the Acme 1235 prop and it handles the weight without a problem and absolutely no vibration trying to handle the weight. It holds the speed easy and minor corrections are easy as well. It gets up to speed quick for surfing...even pulling my 6'4" 255lb friend.

I measured the sacs and I think I have the 400#ers. The whole v drive box is 50x23x24. Does your bag open the lid a little. I may just get the 750's because if I forget and fill the bags while boarding they will still leave a little room in the bin. Although for $40 more I can get the 1100's and always underfil them. I've heard talk of beefing up your engine comparetment as the bags can put stress on the walls. Are yours snug and do you know the dimmentions of the compartments on your newer xlv?

The 1100 sacs will not push up on your XLV hatch/covers. There's enough room in mine to maybe throw a wetsuit and life jacket on top. My divider doors have no bending or bowing in towards the engine due to the 1100 sac. The 1100 will fill the entire compartment. I probably will re-enforce but not a priority now.

Here's a very bad photo of the reg wake before we added more bow weight. It's much longer now but in this pic the wake is very tall and steep with maybe 15' of pocket. I'm 6' tall and the wake was at my waist. The bow weight and 3/4 up wakeplate stretched it to 20' of usable pocket and you can recover even deeper than that.

Here's the goofy side with just the 1100, 1180 center, and one 400 sac on the goofy side seat. The pocket goes forever and now I have that wake even bigger with the additional two 400 sacs on the goofy side. These pics were last fall. I haven't taken any pics this year yet