Default Walker project Comp x

I have been looking at a walker project comp x for some time. I wanted the 4.8 as I am 5'10" 155lbs and want a comba surf and skim style. They are not available anymore and I need to choose between the 4.6 and 5.0. Has anyone ridden these boardds and can comment on their speed and manuverability. I have an XLV that i run about 1600 lbs ballast to surf with.

I'm the same weight and just picked up a used mint 5.0 for my 190+ crew members. Rode it and it's a blast. So much faster than my Blue Lake. Obviously it's too big for me but everyone liked it and I was on the brakes all the time. I recovered from way back in the wash which was amazing.

Go for the 4.6 IF you add more weight to the boat. It's perfect for your weight but you need to run more ballast. I have a TWP JamesWSM 4.6 and perfect for me but riders 175lbs+ don't get the air and speed I can. I have a different boat, but I know your XLV can run a bunch more and the 4.6 TWP will want a med/large wave.

When comparing my 5.0 to a Blue lake, the 5.0 was more responsive rail-to-rail and a bit faster. Rode a smaller Comp X a few years ago with just the tiny twinzer fins and it was really a skim board at that point. Add some big fins for surfstyle and more speed, but hard to break free and spin.

So I only recommend the 5.0 if you are sticking with your current light ballast setup. Great board

I'd say the 4'6" if you add more weight. The regular wake on my XLV has a little more push than the goofy and when set up for surfing regular I can get a legit 3ft tall wake with curl and a 20ft pocket at 11.5-12mph. I wish Moomba had an option for RH rotating prop for better goofy wake. Get around 3000lbs of ballast/people and you'll laugh at how nice the regular wake can get on the XLV. I know me and a buddy were laughing the first time I surfed heelside on the regular wake...the wake was that big and steeeeeep until we played with some bow weight and the wakeplate
    Last edited by you da man; 05-02-2011 at 11:36 AM.