Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by beedish View Post
    I just installed the KMT60's on my Supra last weekend. Got to use them yesterday for the first time and these things are great. Granted, on the back of the boat it can get a little loud, but that was expected as these aren't HLCD's...

I powered them with an MB Quart NAU460 bridged to 2ch at 175w/each at 4ohms. They're rated for 150W/pod so my gain is about 80%-85% up at the amp.

Great deep sound up close, but enough high's for when you're 50'+ back. I think we got the same deal on eBay and for the price, I don't think these can be beat.

Very happy with the purchase.
    beedish-

Thaks for the great feedback! Glad you kine the KMT60!

Know that your gains are not volume controls... You claim to have then at 80% - 85% and that is usually too high for most head units. The amp is in all likelihood clipping way before your head unit runs out of steam.

You want your gains as LOW as possible, so that your amp reaches rated power, (usually just below clipping) at the same time your head unit just starts to show signs of clipping. Usually a head unit will go to about 75% of its max volume range cleanly, so if your radio goes to 50, you really want to think of max volume at roughly 35 for most source material played trhrough your head unit. With your gain controls set to 85%, I am betting your radio only goes to about 8 or 10 before you amplifier is runing at full tilt max power. When you turn it up from there, all you will get is more clipping distortion.

For most radio and amplfier setups, you will usually find that your amp gains are going to be set to half, and often less. You might want to dig around and find a gain setting tutorial that has been written in another forum here. It will help you get things set up correctly where you have the greatest control over volume level and the minimum in terms of injected noise, (hiss, clicks, pops, alternator whine, etc). I will go try to find one and post a link here.

Know too that the KMT60 has a dynamic impedance of more like 3-ohms. Many 4-channel amps do not like to be bridged into these speakers as it really shows about 1.5 ohms to each amp channel. We will find out when it gets hotter hotter, but know I always recommend a stereo amp for the KMT6/KMT60's instead of a bridged 4-channel amp. If your tower system starts cutting out when it gets hot, know it is due to the bridged configuration.

I'll go try to find a good link to a gains-setting tutorial.

Hope this helps ya enjoy your system more!

Phil
    Kicker

Sorry for the hijack guys, I will be quick, (or try). Here are a few posts to start. Take a look and read these.

https://forum.moomba.com/showpost.ph...66&postcount=1

https://forum.moomba.com/showpost.ph...59&postcount=9

https://forum.moomba.com/showpost.ph...68&postcount=1

In general and quickly:

*Turn your amp(s) most of the way down
    *Set your radio's tone controls flat, (bass, treble, highs, all to "zero" or in the middle, i.e not boosted or cut). Turn any loudness control to OFF.
    * With a CD, such as one of NICKLEBACK's, (see aboe) slowly turn your radio up until you hear it starting to compress, sound bad, get crunchy, start distorting, etc... Turn it up until it starts sounding bad, usually at about 75% of max volume. Then turn it just barely down so the sound is clean again.
    * Go to each amp and with the gain, slowly turn it up until you again hear it going crunchy, distorting, starting to sound "flat" starting to have excessive midrange... All of these describe the onset of clipping distortion. Then trurn it down a little until the distortion goes away. As I share above, this is usually with the gains set to half or less.

If you can turn your gains all the way up without souding bad, you either can't hear distortion or something is not set right, (fader?) in your audio system.

After you get each amp turned this way, listen to the system. Is there not enough bass? turn your in-boat amps gain down a little. Too much bass? Turn your sub amp down a little. Whatever you do, after going through the setting guideline above, don;t turn an amp's gain up. It till only cause that amp to distort first when you turn up the system.

Again, this is a very short explanation. Hopefully it makes sense and will allow you guys to better set up your gains for all your amps. Again gains are not volume controls, they are matching devices and allow you to match all amps to to each other and also match all amps to the head unit.

Happy tuning!

Phil
    Kicker
    Last edited by philwsailz; 04-28-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Phil, thanks for that explanation-makes perfect sense now when its not in techo terms
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Phil, thanks so much for those links! that will help out when I install mine as well! And sweet!!! Beedish, that feedback right there makes me feel a LOT better about them. Not like I didn't know they would not be good, but the fact that I've never heard them before so now I feel a lot better about it.

I'm running the KMT6s as well, and I agree with everyone, the new style looks great. Much better than the originals.

Now if we could just get Phil to retro-fit some quick-disconnects, they would be perfect....
    '19 MAX
    '13 Mobius LSV - Sold
    '05 Mobius LSV - Sold

Just an update to you guys on these. They sound awesome!! Clear as day on the board behind the boat. 2 years of no tower speakers to having these on there now, to me, is like complete night and day (obviously)!! I would recommend them to anyone looking for a set. No, they aren't HLCD's but they do the trick!

Nice nice man looking good.. Id recommend putting a little Armor All tire wipe on them. It will make them black and shinny and makes it super easy to wipe the bugs off. They are excellent bug catchers LOL.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]