Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

not all platforms have this issue.

but...presonally speaking, yes. it is worth a hassle to have a nice soft pad on the swim deck.

i bet it would be rare that someone who has experienced a thick seadek pad would remove it to go teak

Quote Originally Posted by zegm View Post
    I have probably posted this before, it seems like the teak ones don't have these problems. Ours doesn't, not sure the luxury of the soft pad is worth all this work?
    What work? How hard is it to drop a washer between the brackets. Getting it out may be another matter LOL, but then there is DOCDRS solution and a bit of AC tin and snips. Doesn't seem like much work to eliminate a rattle.
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by KSmith View Post
    I need to do this. My platform is not horrible and seems to only have slop on one side, but I see how it could get worse quickly.

For those using washers as shims, could you explain to me a bit more how you get them back out to remove the platform? I think someone mentioned needlenose pliers but mine are way to thick to be able to use to remove the washer once it drops down betwwen the brackets
    Please note that I used a stainless lock washer (see pic below) NOT a flat washer to eliminate the slop. I inserted the washer between the platform bracket and the piece that the bracket slides into that is attached to the transom. I inserted this at the top of where the two meet, which is where the gap is. Inserted the washer with the cut in the 12 o'clock position (on top) and only about 1/2 of the diameter of the washer went in. Make sure you find a washer that is just slightly smaller in thickness than the gap so that it does not slide all the way in. I just got lucky and happened to have one that was the correct thickness. This way, it takes up the gap yet is easy to remove at the end of the day. The gap on the other side was smaller and I did not have a cut washer for it so I left it as is but even with just one washer in place, 95% of the slop was eliminated.

Do NOT drop a flat washer in there as you may have a really hard time getting the platform off!

Al

Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by zegm View Post
    I have probably posted this before, it seems like the teak ones don't have these problems. Ours doesn't, not sure the luxury of the soft pad is worth all this work?
    It's not the material of the platform but the bracketry that is the problem and it would seem that both platforms would use the same bracketry. So just consider yourself lucky
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I will keep my beautiful teak! And not admit that I am old and it might hurt my knees! And the kids don't care!

As far as the problem this issue has been on this board for years! And no one with a teak deck has complained. I believe it is because the teak deck is flat on the bottom without a lip and probably doesn't experience strumming as it passes throught the water or any other water induced vibration that might cause things to loosen up and wear some.

But I will not comment on this anymore as I am happy with what I got and you guy don't mind shimming the stuff.

In other words Teak is now just for us old timers that appreciate the beauty of the wood and just make their kids suffer.

Thanks Al that helped!
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    Please note that I used a stainless lock washer (see pic below) NOT a flat washer to eliminate the slop. I inserted the washer between the platform bracket and the piece that the bracket slides into that is attached to the transom. I inserted this at the top of where the two meet, which is where the gap is. Inserted the washer with the cut in the 12 o'clock position (on top) and only about 1/2 of the diameter of the washer went in. Make sure you find a washer that is just slightly smaller in thickness than the gap so that it does not slide all the way in. I just got lucky and happened to have one that was the correct thickness. This way, it takes up the gap yet is easy to remove at the end of the day. The gap on the other side was smaller and I did not have a cut washer for it so I left it as is but even with just one washer in place, 95% of the slop was eliminated.

Do NOT drop a flat washer in there as you may have a really hard time getting the platform off!

Al

great post Al .......but would it not be better to insert the cut at 10 or 2 or even 3 or 9 as if it slips down there is no way to compress the cut and possibly make it very difficult to remove the platform. Love the simplicity ,just thinking of a possible woopsie
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    great post Al .......but would it not be better to insert the cut at 10 or 2 or even 3 or 9 as if it slips down there is no way to compress the cut and possibly make it very difficult to remove the platform. Love the simplicity ,just thinking of a possible woopsie
    I suppose that would work too. But if you look at the washer from the side with the cut on top, it looks like a wedge with the widest part at the top (at the cut). So that's why I did it that way. On my platform, the washer goes in about halfway and that's about where it stayed at the end of the day.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I like your idea Al. I tried this a few weekends back, and did actually put a flat washer in first. Obviously, that dropped in most of the way, then the top of the bracket got the lock washer. This got ride of the slop, but the flat washer down in the brackets made the swim deck nearly permanent. We had to reef on the thing for a while before we could get it out.

I like the tin shims, , but also worry about removing the platform after a day. Might be another pain.

I also tried the toilet shims this past Friday. Worked GREAT! Until about halfway thru the day, then they fell out somewhere... I didn't break them off at all once jammed into the gap, so that might have been the major issue.

I look forward to any other options that may pop up, and might try that ductwork shim idea...
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

I spoke with Heidi at Atlanta Marine and had her price out the 2011 Swim Platform brackets; they are surprisingly inexpensive, and I plan to order a set. I don't want to post the price here as I don't know the rules with dealers on that, but I'll say that replacing the bracket on the transom and the platform for both sides should cost less than 10 cases of Miller Lite.
    2013 Outback V