Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Any concern with the threads loosening up or stretching over time since the bracket is aluminum?
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

Quote Originally Posted by mnpracing View Post
    Any concern with the threads loosening up or stretching over time since the bracket is aluminum?
    I guess we'll have to see how it holds up over time. It crossed my mind though and that's why I went with a smaller bolt so if it slops out I can drill/tap it again.

This is an awesome idea. I can't wait to do this to my platform this year. I am so sick of hearing the platform bounce up and down with the waves. Solid idea Ian!!
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

This thread had me thinking about mine. Had to trailer 4 hrs down and 4 back from Clermont over the weekend. I haven't done the set screw yet so I put an extra tie down strap through the opening in the bracket and winched it down tight so it couldn't bounce around.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hattrick View Post
    Ian,

How much of a lip do you have on your brackets which are mounted to the boat for the drilling and tapping of the set screw? I wanted to do the same with mine but after looking at it, it does not appear to be enough of a lip overlapping the bracket from the swim platform to drill and tap the necessary hole.
    I was thinking exactly the same thing when I looked at mine. The lip on my bracket is only about 1/4" wide. If I did what Ian did, less than half of the bolt would actually contact the platform bracket, but maybe that is enough?
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    I was thinking exactly the same thing when I looked at mine. The lip on my bracket is only about 1/4" wide. If I did what Ian did, less than half of the bolt would actually contact the platform bracket, but maybe that is enough?
    You could always use large stainless set screws for this as well I would think.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#about-set-screws/=ch5cpa
    2007 Mobius LSV

The boat is out of the water and in my driveway, but its also monsoon raining outside, so I'm not much up for going and pulling the bolt to take pics, lol. I'll get some up shortly!
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton View Post
    The boat is out of the water and in my driveway, but its also monsoon raining outside, so I'm not much up for going and pulling the bolt to take pics, lol. I'll get some up shortly!
    Ian,

Never mind - I saw your answer in post #11 - I missed it the first time.

Thanks,

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

anyone know how to access the lower bolt in the swim platform bracket that is mounted to the boat? It looks like it goes in below the floor in the rear hatch.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

My "fix" only lasted a couple of hours. The aluminum on the swim platform side of the bracket quickly deformed and started slopping around again. I tightened the bolts up again but it just deformed the bracket even more. Guess it's back to the composite shims...