Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

My Vision X worked flawlessly. For the money they were GREAT

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

I'm going to give the split washer a try next weekend. Found one side of the platform floating in the water after a surf session. The factory pin somehow had fallen out. Good thing the other bracket didn't break! Finished the weekend with a receiver hitch pin in its place, along with some composite shims to stop the movement. The shims worked great, but we need to remove the platform for storage, so I couldn't pound them in and snap off.

I wonder if JB-Weld added to the top back of the platform bracket would hold up?
    2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc

Quote Originally Posted by Darter View Post
    I wonder if JB-Weld added to the top back of the platform bracket would hold up?
    I remove mine every time I get home or it won't fit in the garage. How far do you trailer? One thing I have found that helps a lot is to take a ratchet strap and hook it through the platform brackets and down around the trailer frame B4 any long tow. I tow 40 min. each way at fairly high speed. That is a lot of slop and bounce on your little pins in the platform. By cinching it down tight I remove tons of play and bounce during my tow. I still have original pins and holes and have never used shims. There is a little play but I haven't had to fill and redrill or anything yet.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I'm going to give the split washer a try next weekend. Found one side of the platform floating in the water after a surf session. The factory pin somehow had fallen out. Good thing the other bracket didn't break! Finished the weekend with a receiver hitch pin in its place, along with some composite shims to stop the movement. The shims worked great, but we need to remove the platform for storage, so I couldn't pound them in and snap off.

I have to remove my swim deck each time to fit in the garage. I just cut the shims off so they just stick up an couple of inches above the swim deck. I put the swim deck on, tap the shims into place and leave then in until we get home. Usually i can wiggle them back out with my fingers or sometimes if they are really tight i use a pair of pliers and pull them out. I just reuse the same shims. Works great for me.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Default How To: Eliminate Your Swim Platform Rattle / Slop...

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    I have to remove my swim deck each time to fit in the garage. I just cut the shims off so they just stick up an couple of inches above the swim deck. I put the swim deck on, tap the shims into place and leave then in until we get home. Usually i can wiggle them back out with my fingers or sometimes if they are really tight i use a pair of pliers and pull them out. I just reuse the same shims. Works great for me.
    Are you using composite or plastic shims? The composite ones don't seem like they're going to last long.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc

I just bought a package of them from Home Depot. They are black and I'm pretty sure they are plastic. They were only a few bucks for a pack of 12 I think.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

I used a SS fender washer, put a bend in it on one side so it would not fall all the way down and was able to grab hold of it with pliers to wiggle out.
    2014 Mojo Surf
    2013 Mojo Sold
    2010 LSV Sold
    2002 OB LSV Sold

I used the washer trick. I tied some 1/8" rope through the center of the washers and tied the other end to the pin on the swim platform, so if they came out they'd be tethered. I now have about a hundred little nicks in the bottom of my swim platform and on my gelcoat under the platform from a time where they came out and were dangling on the tether marking and chipping up anything they could hit as the bounced along the water.

I wish I would have went with the shims. or even just bought a lot of washers (untethered) so that if they came out they just sink instead of becoming a flail to mark up my gelcoat.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Are you using composite or plastic shims? The composite ones don't seem like they're going to last long.
    I've been using the composite shims - sort of a dark green color. They have been holding up fine for me. Last year, they eventually wiggled loose, this spring I tapped 'em in pretty tight and they snapped below the deck surface... I'm just a little worried about getting them out but that's what November is for!
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Default How To: Eliminate Your Swim Platform Rattle / Slop...

I too have been using the composite shims. Tapped mine in with a hammer and Robertson screwdriver. Haven't even moved the last 2 years. Home Depot has them in the toilets isle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 Craz
    2007 LSV - Sold
    2003 Outback - Sold