Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default How To: Eliminate Your Swim Platform Rattle / Slop...

This was one of the cheapest things I've done to the boat yet, and yet one of the things I am most excited about.

I feel like if there is a varying degree of "slop" in the swim platform, mine would have been on the 'worse' end of things. At the very least, its annoying as hell.

Before Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6gXetJpjeI

So, I figured if I could put a few set screws into the bracket, it would at least reduce the rattle a little.

A blank slate:

So, I just drilled and tapped a 3/8-16 hole about mid-way on the inboard side of the platform bracket. I actually bought Stainless Steel allen bolts for this application, but I couldn't find the correct size wrench, so for testing it out I used a few spare Zinc plated bolts I had laying around. I'll swap in the allens once I get the correct wrench:

...and the verdict: NO MORE SLOP! It didn't just reduce the sloppy clunking, it completely eliminated it! I'm so happy, I can't wait to get it in the water and see if its a permanent fix, or if I'll need some more tweaking.

I'll add an 'after' video this evening.
    2013 Outback V

Awesome idea! I'm going to have to do that as well! One suggestion though, put a nut on the bolt and after you tighten the bolt, tighten the nut good. It will prevent the bolt from loosening up and falling out.
    2007 Mobius LSV

This is the same idea as the 2011 style swim platforms, they have a set screw very similar to what you done.
    Rob Snyder...no not the actor!
    2011 Celestial Blue/Black Accent Moomba Mobius LSV, 340HP

Quote Originally Posted by Sea N' Things View Post
    This is the same idea as the 2011 style swim platforms, they have a set screw very similar to what you done.
    It was my inspiration - I saw it on an '11 at the Grand Rapids boat show. I think the whole bracket is a bit different, from memory isn't the set screw quite a bit smaller, and at the top of the bracket? Either way, I just want the noise and knocking to stop, haha!
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    Awesome idea! I'm going to have to do that as well! One suggestion though, put a nut on the bolt and after you tighten the bolt, tighten the nut good. It will prevent the bolt from loosening up and falling out.
    That is a great idea, and one I was toying with, I just didn't have any nuts (lol) to use. Another trip to the hardware store and I'll get it right
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    Great idea Ian! I have used a similar setup Razz, not on a swim platform however. I usually a nylon lock nut spun onto the bolt "upside down".
    Tighten the bolt, tighten the lock nut to tension the bolt and make it harder for the bolt to back out.

If that setup all loosens and disappears into the depths, well you must have pissed off some higher power...

Cheap enough a setup to keep spares on hand if it really bothers someone enough to want a quick on the water fix...
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton View Post
    Nope, I just took the platform off and used a hand drill and threaded the tap in with a wrench. The whole process took about 10 minutes.
    I saw this in the other thread. Maybe this is a dumb question but did you only drill through the platform bracket,or through the bracket plus platform? That seems to imply just the bracket unless you just marked the spots and then drilled/tapped each individually?

I removed the platform, drilled through the lip, then about 1/2 through the base of the transom mount. I had to drill into the base of the transom mount to enable me to properly thread the lip - other wise the tap will bottom out on the base and not cut the threads deep enough to allow you to tighten the bolts.

I did not drill the platform part of the bracket.

The way this works is by putting pressure (IE: filling the void) between the transom bracket lip, and the swim platform bracket, essentially pushing the platform part of the bracket tight against the transom bracket.
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton View Post
    This was one of the cheapest things I've done to the boat yet, and yet one of the things I am most excited about.

I feel like if there is a varying degree of "slop" in the swim platform, mine would have been on the 'worse' end of things. At the very least, its annoying as hell.

Before Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6gXetJpjeI

So, I figured if I could put a few set screws into the bracket, it would at least reduce the rattle a little.

A blank slate:

So, I just drilled and tapped a 3/8-16 hole about mid-way on the inboard side of the platform bracket. I actually bought Stainless Steel allen bolts for this application, but I couldn't find the correct size wrench, so for testing it out I used a few spare Zinc plated bolts I had laying around. I'll swap in the allens once I get the correct wrench:

...and the verdict: NO MORE SLOP! It didn't just reduce the sloppy clunking, it completely eliminated it! I'm so happy, I can't wait to get it in the water and see if its a permanent fix, or if I'll need some more tweaking.

I'll add an 'after' video this evening.
    Ian,

How much of a lip do you have on your brackets which are mounted to the boat for the drilling and tapping of the set screw? I wanted to do the same with mine but after looking at it, it does not appear to be enough of a lip overlapping the bracket from the swim platform to drill and tap the necessary hole.
    Troy

2009 Outback V