Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton View Post
    I spoke with Heidi at Atlanta Marine and had her price out the 2011 Swim Platform brackets; they are surprisingly inexpensive, and I plan to order a set. I don't want to post the price here as I don't know the rules with dealers on that, but I'll say that replacing the bracket on the transom and the platform for both sides should cost less than 10 cases of Miller Lite.
    Ian, can the transom brackets be replaced without ripping up the floor (ie. cutting out fiberglas?)? The bottom bolts/screws are not visible inside of the boat.
    Last edited by mnpracing; 08-16-2011 at 03:44 PM.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    Please note that I used a stainless lock washer (see pic below) NOT a flat washer to eliminate the slop. I inserted the washer between the platform bracket and the piece that the bracket slides into that is attached to the transom. I inserted this at the top of where the two meet, which is where the gap is. Inserted the washer with the cut in the 12 o'clock position (on top) and only about 1/2 of the diameter of the washer went in. Make sure you find a washer that is just slightly smaller in thickness than the gap so that it does not slide all the way in. I just got lucky and happened to have one that was the correct thickness. This way, it takes up the gap yet is easy to remove at the end of the day. The gap on the other side was smaller and I did not have a cut washer for it so I left it as is but even with just one washer in place, 95% of the slop was eliminated.

Do NOT drop a flat washer in there as you may have a really hard time getting the platform off!

Al
    Below are pics to go with the description above. I have been using this method the last three or four times out and it has been working well for me. It eliminates 95% of the movement and is really easy to remove with a pair of needle nose pliers afterwards which is important for me as I have to remove the swim platform after each time out.

Al

2006 Mobius LSV

should cost less than 10 cases of Miller Lite.

Thats still 10 cases! I'd rather the cases than a newer bracket, lol
    2004 Moomba LSV Blue

^haha I completely agree!
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

Quote Originally Posted by mnpracing View Post
    Ian, can the transom brackets be replaced without ripping up the floor (ie. cutting out fiberglas?)? The bottom bolts/screws are not visible inside of the boat.
    I believe that the transom brackets just screw into the transom, I don't think they have backing plates and nuts/bolts, I think they are a sheet metal style screw, but I'm not sure.

Either way, on the Outback if I do have to get to inside of the transom to get to nuts & bolts it shouldn't be too hard, the back floor comes up really easily and a few 12" extensions would get me in the right place, if need be.
    2013 Outback V

I believe that the transom brackets just screw into the transom, I don't think they have backing plates and nuts/bolts, I think they are a sheet metal style screw, but I'm not sure.

Either way, on the Outback if I do have to get to inside of the transom to get to nuts & bolts it shouldn't be too hard, the back floor comes up really easily and a few 12" extensions would get me in the right place, if need be.
    It kinda makes sense the bottom screws are just sheetmetal/wood type screws but on my boat, the top screws are definitely machined screws and have nuts and washers on the inside of the boat to tighten them down. And on our boats, there is no way to remove the floor at the transom without cutting it out.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

That would be nice if the bottom two bolts were just blind threads. Then it would be a pretty straight forward swap. And if the new brackets fit that same bolt pattern, then, wow, that would be awesome.
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

Do the dealers have access to an exploded parts diagram through a Skiers Choice website? If so, that would be the easiest way to see if the bottom screws have nuts or simply thread into blind holes.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

After doing the shims and thinking physics and levers I think Al's idea is best and simple. I didn't have thin enough lock washers so using 2 adjustable wrenches I bent a washer 1/3 2/3 so it wouldn't slip down all the way just incase it was to thin. The bent part also give something to grab to remove. All slop removed definitely quicker than the shims and better I believe.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Here is a pic of the bent washer. I have minimal spacing so have to insert it from underneath and from the side of the platform. After 1400lbs of surfing regular and goofy, and 2000lbs of wakeboarding ballast these little suckers stayed put and are easy still easy to remove. sorry for picture quality space was tight

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 08-28-2011 at 10:52 PM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug