Rather than highjack the boat lock question how do you all deal with boat security systems. Specifically on the dock or in storage.

I am taking a old computer, a security camera or two, a wireless network, battery backup, and an external hard drive, about $1,000 worth of stuff and hooking it up in my storage building.

Half the price of the monitor stuff they were selling at the boat show. A third what I was quoted by a security system company, and they did not know how to do the remote hard drive.

The camera is on a motion detector. Camera to password protected computer, computer to hidden hard drive where the wireless is on the HD. I have not set it up yet but I have the hardware on hold. I have yet to demonstrate that this will work.

A monitored system typically does not have cameras and costs a phone line and $20/mo.

If they break in and steal the computer, the hidden hard drive is still recoverable with the pictures. Most of the time the police have a better idea than they like to let on as to who is doing the B&E. I hope to also setup so that I can get the license plate number with a second camera.

My boat is going to be stored in a 48x50 big metal building I bought just for boats and water gear. I also plan to rent at least half of the building to other folks. I do not have a phone but I have power.

Also, has anyone ever put one of those Lojack car tracking devices on a boat. What do they cost? They are not available in Ohio. I guess we are not high crime.

Anything else out there worth a look? I’m open to suggestions.

Has anyone gone to any other extremes? I like my stuff and plan to keep it, or at least get it back.

SD2