Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Wife"

Default "The Wife"

Do any of you have a wife that not as exited as you about owning and enjoying a boat?
    Last edited by Ed G; 04-22-2011 at 08:01 AM. Reason: changes made per request

Dang sorry to hear that. Hope you are able to work it out before the weather gets nice out.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

major bummer! my wife was not as exited as I (nor will she ever be) when it comes to the boat. But she sure came around after a summer or 2 with the first one and the family time. Also bought her a camper which was her desire so now she's happy and I can really do whatever to the boat as I please. I just don't show her the receipts

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

L doesn't have the desire to boat as much as I do (pretty much daily, rain or shine), but she understands and accepts it. If she didn't, I probably wouldn't have bought all those carats, lol
    2013 Outback V

If only there were standard pre-marriage counselling that included this topic. Heck, start earlier in high school "preparation for life" courses.

I am glad that I got into boating before being ready to settle down. I still haven't found "the one", but it's a given that she'll have to be a "boat babe". Some people are averse to having objective checklists regarding their future partners, but for me this issue would be almost as important as having the correct gender.

There is only one way to make an exception: she can be lukewarm on boating IF she has a waterfront cottage near our city and likes lots of guests. That way our weekends would still overlap.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

That would really suck if the better half didn't like boating. I feel your pain and all I can say is find a way that makes boating enjoyable for her. Even before my wife skied and wakeboard she never did mind going out on the water. Now she is the one saying lets hit the lake after work or lets try to get out there by 6:30 am and I get the 1st run on the glass.

Teach her how to drive, make her feel needed when you are out on the water and find something she likes doing on the water. You have to convence her that boating is great way to create family memories.

I guess a few of are blessed with wives that enjoy it as much as we do. It is an addiction you just have to get her hooked. lol
    Last edited by harmsway; 04-20-2011 at 09:58 PM.
    Patrick
    '08 Mobius LS. 4 Blade OJ 13x13 Prop.
    Kenwood KMR440U & RC107MR, T600-2 Rockford Fosgate powering 2 Liquid Acoustics 8" HLCD, Kicker SKM10 subwoofer
    5 light- light bar.
    2015 RAM 3500HD Dually 6.7 Diesel w/ Aisin 6 speed tranny
    Live life today!

Quote Originally Posted by danomite81 View Post
    Do any of you have a wife that is; let's say not as exited as you about owning and enjoying a boat? I have been banned from using the word boat and I am not allowed to even get in , look at or do just about anything that has to do with the B word . This is a hard time for me seeing how I just bought the B at the end of the season last year and did not even look at it this winter. Feel free to vent cause I am!
    Start going to the sewing circle or bingo or whatever it is that's important to her. The message is that you are 100% on board with whatever her thing is because she's that important to you. (Leave your part unsaid.)

When I met my wife she would not get in water over her head. Her mother was deathly afraid of water an always told her she would drown. Over time she has grown to appreciate the peacefulness of the water, the time with nature, the healthy family activities, the good friends we spend time with, etc. I would thank her for indulging me and putting up with my hobby but once I had 4 kids hooked there wasn't much choice. Now she truly enjoys the time on the water and was the insitgator in us getting our LSV. If she's the right gal she'll come around.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Mine lives for the boat. In fact when we shut the business down two years ago I mentioned we might have to sell the boat, she said "We'll walk away from the house before I sell my boat!". It's still out there
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    Mine lives for the boat. In fact when we shut the business down two years ago I mentioned we might have to sell the boat, she said "We'll walk away from the house before I sell my boat!". It's still out there
    Does your wife have a sister the same way? You better hold on to that one.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

I'm also one of the lucky ones who has a great "boat" wife. She loves going out as much as I do, whether we're wakeboarding, surfing, or just enjoying a cruise with the hound. She drives better than any of my friends, backs me in at the ramp, and loads the boat on the trailer when we're leaving. You bet I'm bragging - she deserves it!
    Current: 2010 LSV
    Previous: 2007 Outback