Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spring Project ! ( painting my boat)

I just got done my 4 vent install , and now my buddy that works with repairing and painting airplanes (fiberglass) has talked me into custom painting my boat. It is all yellow now with white haul. We are keeping the yellow on the back and makening the front 3/4 of boat either black or the charcoal that matches seat color (06-07 color) accent. We are also bringing that swish of the seat pattern, for spliting the two colors . What do you guys think?
    I don't think I will put a logo back on side, just keep it clean.
    Matt Glenn

Just my opinion but painting an airplane and painting a boat are two totally different animals. The color on a boat is in the gelcoat and impervious to the ravages of water, dirt and sand. Paint over the gel and it's now exposed to these elements. I dunno maybe they have paint now that can withstand and hold up but I wouldn't personally do it. The other thing that comes to mind is water spots and such. With gel you can buff them out if neccessary, paint i'd be leary of doing that to.
    2007 Mobius LSV

I wouldn't paint it either for the same reasons Razz listed.

Maybe consider a wrap rather than paint.

PWI as usual...

Default ?

From the reserch I have done there is no problem painting the boat with the new paint out there. You don't lose any gel coat, if anything you could always strip the paint and go back to the gel coat. The think is gel coat shows sun wear were the paint will not. I'm notpainting any of the haul just the sides , I just don't see any problems? any more freedback. P.S the wraps look bad I think you can see the lines up close?
    Matt Glenn

Granted it was over 3 decades ago, but my Dad has his boat painted and it looked like hell, was a pain to try and keep clean or get scuffs out of the paint without polishing through the paint, oxidized like no tomorrow... I'd never have my boat painted.
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

hate to say it, but I'm with the others on this one. never done it and never will. boats are just not like cars/airplanes/motorcycles, whatever. gelcoat is a different animal than fiberglas, metal, aluminum, carbon, etc...

guy here had a screaming deal on an older supreme that had some fiberglas damage on the covered bow. he fixed it and painted the top, leaving the rest gel. that boat sat for almost 6 months before he finally sold it for $2500. it was painfully obvious what had been done...

redo the gel, buff it out, or wrap it. a good quality wrap will set you back a few $$, but it'll look the best if you have gel issues.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

have to agree with the others ......... and it's likely that nobody on this board is going to say otherwise!

The only downside to a wrap is it can get scratched and nicked (so can gel but it's not as fragile) but if taken care of will look like a new boat. Personally I'd be shopping for a 1/2, 3/4, or full wrap depending on what you need and $$.

Sounds like you would only need a partial wrap if your only looking to paint the sides.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Wrap it as other's have said.

But, Get ahold of 11 outback V, he may have some info on painting boat's--think his Ellmos' revenge was painted?
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Guys I hate to disagree with you but in this case I have too. Look at any of the high performance boats out there that are not white or have more than one color on them. 99% are paint and there are even shops that do nothing bit paint boats. If it is done right it will last. There are boats running in the high 170 mph range that are paint. The miss geico boat runs around 220 mph and has no problem and I think salt is about as harsh as an environment as you will ever get in and no problems. Yes my Elmo boat was all paint and never had a problem. I wouldn't think twice about paint if it is done right
    I will post some links to paint when I get to my computer im on my phone now.
    REALLY????