Default What Wire Gauge for Hooking Two Batts in Parralel

So I bought two group 29 125AH batteries yesterday to power my stereo which I plan to wire in parallel as one 12V bank. My question is, is 2 gauge battery cable sufficient to connect the battery terminals together? If not, then what gauge should I use? The two batteries will be sitting right next to each other so the cable runs will be very short. The batts will be powering three amps - a JL M6600, an Exile SM600.1, and an Exile 1K Harpoon.

The batteries I bought are Group 29 Everlast Maxx Marine batteries from Walmart ($85/each) with an 18 month direct replacement (not prorated) warranty. I've been very happy with the Kirkland Group 27 I had from Costco so I figured these Walmart batts should do the job. The Group 29's have a little more amp hours than the Group 27's (125 vs 115). Any direct experience with the Everlast Maxx Marine, good or bad?

Thanks,

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

The bigger the better, but I'd feel perfectly comfortable with 2AWG connecting the two batteries, especially over such a short run.

Truth be told, I think mine are connected with 4awg right now - whatever size jumper they had at the store when I bought the batteries becuase I didn't feel like digging through the mountains of wire in my garage to find the proper connecters and length of 1/0. Since I've got it all already I plan to upgrade, but more so because I think the bigger wire and screw type terminals look cooler, lol.
    2013 Outback V

2 gauge will be fine Al, You could get away with a 4 gauge but the issue lies when you need those as Starting batteries you will 1 heat those 4s up really fast and lost amperage to the starter.

I run 2 gauge as my jumper cables from battery to battery.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I'm in process of hooking up my dual batteries on my '02 LSV. The guy at West Marine questioned me when I told him my cable running from the starter battery to the starter was 2/0 gauge, they don't carry terminals in that size, I had to order them.

What are you guys running for cable size from the starter battery and stereo battery to the battery switch? Negative to Negative on the batteries? Is 2 AWG suffice? West Marine carries pre-made cables with the terminal ends in 2 AWG, they told me this is what a majority of people do. I just have seen posts with people running 2/0 cable from the batteries to the switch.

My cable runs from battery to battery is only a couple feet, and batteries to switch is less than 2'.

Quote Originally Posted by vandy654 View Post
    I'm in process of hooking up my dual batteries on my '02 LSV. The guy at West Marine questioned me when I told him my cable running from the starter battery to the starter was 2/0 gauge, they don't carry terminals in that size, I had to order them.

What are you guys running for cable size from the starter battery and stereo battery to the battery switch? Negative to Negative on the batteries? Is 2 AWG suffice? West Marine carries pre-made cables with the terminal ends in 2 AWG, they told me this is what a majority of people do. I just have seen posts with people running 2/0 cable from the batteries to the switch.

My cable runs from battery to battery is only a couple feet, and batteries to switch is less than 2'.
    Here's a helpful table I found, except that I am running a total of 2050W RMS between my three amps and the table only goes up to 1400W RMS.

http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Vandy, 2/0 should be just fine for your starting line. Thats the standard size used in cars, and these boats for power and ground lines. The only time you really see 0 gauge is in stereo systems because the draw is Constant not short bursts like starting.

Even in my truck the starter cables are 2 gauge
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]