Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ballst Bags pump air lock

Just wondering if anyone else has the same problem I have.My ballst pump will not fill the bags for the first time of the day sitting idle.I have to take the boat up to speed then turn on the switch.I fill the center locker bag first then the back side bags.I also fill only one bag at a time[seems to fill them up faster this way].Anyone else have this same situation.Thanks for any info.
    John

Default Replying to Topic 'Ballst Bags pump air lock'

We have had the same problem with our bags. I have a 2002 Outback LS and the pumps are not self priming so the water needs to be forced from the forward movement of the boat in order for the pumps to prime. I am trying to change my pumps out to a different type because it is such a hassle.
    Lake Bound
    2002 Moomba Outback LS
    Indmar, Carb

Let me know what you go with if it works.Thanks.
    John

Same problem here and many other have voiced the same in the past. I usually just turn the pumps on for a minute to prime them when I'm motoring out to where I'm boarding at. They seem to be fine after that.

Lowdrag
    I have tried that but it seems on my boat that does not work.I have to be going at least 20 -25 to get the water flowing.Thanks.
    John

Its not really a problem, its just the way the pumps work. I usually run up to about 30 to get to where I want to board and run the pumps, then we can sit and they will still fill.

Does it hurt anything to fill them while you are cruising at 25-30 MPH. If not, that seems to be the answer. How long does it take to fill and empty the standard front and rear bags on an LSV?

One more important question. Once the bags are full, does the pump continue to try and pump water into the bags? I guess part of my question is ,,,, do most of you open up the covers to determine when to turn off the switches? How do you gauge it. I have never owned a boat before that had any type of ballast. This is all new to me.

Clark
    Clark

2017 Moomba Craz
    Raptor 400
    Pacific Blue / Graphite

1st - 1983 old brown boat - not sure the make
    2nd - 2001 Bayliner 185 4 cyl. Sold
    3rd - 2005 Moomba Möbius LSV. Sold

Clark
    When the bags are full they automatically spill over the empty tube side.That is how you Know they are full.It is not a pain to speed up to fill.It is just were I live you have to idle out to the main part of the lake.This would be a good time to fill the bags and get ready to ski.But at idle the angle of the boat does not purge the pump.Also if you got a new boat with this system make sure the hoses are hooked up correctly.Mine were backwards.And also RTV the threads of the plastic fittings going into the bags.Mine leaked like crazy to the point were the bilge pump would come on.Once I sealed the threads no more water in the bilge at all.I bought my boat new last year and put about 120 hours on it and this was the only problem.Sorry for the long wind statement.
    John

OK John, help me out a bit.

I too need to idle out to the main channel... I also thought that would be a good time to fill them. There are several things I need for you to clarify for me.

What do you mean by:
    1. empty tube side
    2. purge the pump
    3. how would I know if they were backwards
    4. RTV the fittings - is that a sealant?

Also, should you remove those hoses during the winterization process to be sure no water problems?

Sorry for so many questions, but I will be getting my LSV this month and I want to be ready.

Thanks,
    Clark
    Clark

2017 Moomba Craz
    Raptor 400
    Pacific Blue / Graphite

1st - 1983 old brown boat - not sure the make
    2nd - 2001 Bayliner 185 4 cyl. Sold
    3rd - 2005 Moomba Möbius LSV. Sold

The owner's manual addresses the pump problem. It says that air may get trapped in the system, and it may be necessary to run the boat at planing speeds to force water into the system and allow the fill pump to prime fully. After it is primed you should be able to fill the ballast while moving or sitting still. The air probably gets into the system while the boat is being towed on the trailer. I don't know that a new pump will help. It is probably just an inherant problem with the system.