Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stupid Boat Problems

The time I felt most stupid in my boat was when it wouldn't start for some reason. After many minutes of tracing things down, it turned out that although the throttle appeared to be in neutral, it was in fact just slightly engaged,thus no start...........did I feel stupid !!!!!

Stupid # 2 was probably my 3rd year spring start up and with the clamshell up something did not sound right. After probably a solid minute plus of running I found the sound coming from the intake side of my tranny cooler, located beside the oil filter on my 99 outback. I forgot to hook this hose back on.....did I feel stupid.......but after a solid 1-2 maybe 3 minutes of dry running my impeller was still good! How about that!!!!
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 04-12-2011 at 06:31 PM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

kill switch - been there.

CB popped - been there.

Battery dead from tunes - seen that.

Perko never switched - effectively one battery - been there.

SD2

ever spend a hour trying to figure out why the boat wont start only to fing the cut off teather was not engaged
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I had a blown up tube strapped to top of boat over the engine cover (direct drive). Launched the boat only to realize I had forgotten to put in the plug. I realized it right away but it still took a while to get the tube untied, cover up, and plug in. Luckily water didn't get anywhere near high enough to damage anything but I've never done that again.

Tried to start boat at landing while rear tiedown straps were still attached. Wen through almost a can of ether. Would run with ether, but died right away. Brought from landing to dealer - they put fake-a-lake on and it fired right up.

Theory - the tie-downs kept the bottom of the boat deep enough on the landing that the engine could not overcome the backpressure on the flaps. Never happened again - but I have never forgetten to unstrap again either.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

I haven't had any stupid boat problems...

This week!
    Last edited by newty; 04-12-2011 at 10:31 PM.

PWI as usual...

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    The time I felt most stupid in my boat was when it wouldn't start for some reason. After many minutes of tracing things down, it turned out that although the throttle appeared to be in neutral, it was in fact just slightly engaged,thus no start...........did I feel stupid !!!!!
    Ha - that's funny. Happened to me early in the season 2 years ago. Just finished eating lunch in a cove with the family. Of course my 5 year old and 3 year old like to take turns "driving" at the helm when we are floating. Got ready to head out and boat wouldn't start. I spent a good 15 minutes freeking and trying everything before I realized it was just (as you said) "slightly engaged". Boy did I feel dumb - but thankful

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

First day out in 08, first boat had guests in the boat for the inaugural ride. Tripped the moomba cruise. Took 30 embarrassing minutes to figure it out. Could not get the new boat above 5 mph.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

spring '10.
    tune up, mani and valve cover gaskets, all new hoses, plugs, dual batt set up, finished reupholstering.... test drive....ran out of gas.....Best part was we drained the batteries dead because there was no way i was out of gas.....
    '90 Supra Conbrio

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post

did the same thing my 3rd time out in the boat. almost sold it and decided that boat ownership was not for me. glad I stuck it out...

for those that have not really grown up on the water, there's no more sick feeling than being helpless/stranded out on a lake and knowing that if you can't get it started and no one stops, you're screwed.. as I panicked, I just kept watching the rock wall loom closer and closer as we drifted into it. ended up bumping the throttle and got her started. ours was more like 1.5hrs not a few minutes..

knowing what I do now, I have come to realize what kind of comradery there is on the lake and that 99% of boat owners will stop if they think you are in trouble. it is an amazing network of people that share the same passion and are willing to help out those in trouble knowing that karma does exist.....
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten