Thread: Polks

Default Polks

I am looking at picking up Berg's Polk MM651's but my concern is that I am currently running the rear speakers in parallel showing the amp a 2ohm load and the fronts by themselves at 4 ohm. It is a kicker 700.5 amp. The problem is that they are 2.7 ohms, would i have to run the rears in series off of the rear channels to get the appropriate ohm rating??

Thanks,
    Mark
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

What speakers would you have in the bow?

Right now it is a set of DB651's I would run them off of the deck but I eliminated it and I run everything through an ipod and clarion eq
    -Mark
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

Call me crazy for "talking you out of the sale" but I'm afraid you're going to be underpowered for these speakers running on the Kicker 700.5, especially if you go in series to a 4.7ohm load, if that's possible.

That amp is rated at 70watts at 4ohm, 85 watts at 2 ohm. These speakers want 100watts RMS each... You 'may' be clipping the amp when you crank it up.

ERR- scratch that calculation. 5.4ohm load??
    Last edited by bergermaister; 04-12-2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: I can't add...
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Ok at this point PHIL!!! what is you take?
    -Mark

"Hey you only live once"

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Call me crazy for "talking you out of the sale" but I'm afraid you're going to be underpowered for these speakers running on the Kicker 700.5, especially if you go in series to a 4.7ohm load, if that's possible.

That amp is rated at 70watts at 4ohm, 85 watts at 2 ohm. These speakers want 100watts RMS each... You 'may' be clipping the amp when you crank it up.

ERR- scratch that calculation. 5.4ohm load??
    Two 2.7 ohm speakers wired in series presents a 5.4 ohm load to the amp. If the 700.5 is rated 70W at 4 ohm, then its going to deliver a calculated 52W at 5.4 ohm, then divide that by two since there are two speakers being driven for a total of 26W per speaker which is obviously not going to get you the volume you want.

You can't wire them in parallel because that would result in a 1.35 ohm load and the 700.5 can't handle that. So to do this right, you would have to drive the 4 MM651's off the 4 full range channels of the 700.5, then buy a separate two channel amp for the bow speakers.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Default Price Drop - $120 and I'll split shipping.

I'll give a little more to get these sold-

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....002#post133002

Price Drop - $120 and I'll split shipping.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I'll take them Berg for that price. I'll put them in my truck if nothing else.
    -Mark

"Hey you only live once"

Quote Originally Posted by New Guy View Post
    I am looking at picking up Berg's Polk MM651's but my concern is that I am currently running the rear speakers in parallel showing the amp a 2ohm load and the fronts by themselves at 4 ohm. It is a kicker 700.5 amp. The problem is that they are 2.7 ohms, would i have to run the rears in series off of the rear channels to get the appropriate ohm rating??

Thanks,
    Mark
    One of the MM651's per channel would work quite well with the amp. Two in parallel as mentions is going to give you a 1.35-ohm load, too low. Two in series will result in a 5.4 ohm load as already posted. It will run fine at 5.4, but will not have the power that the speakers can handle. It still would get fairly loud, but you will run ot of headroom before the speakers want to quit.

Those speakers just want a biger amp, so understand it is not the fault of the Kicker amp...

Phil
    Kicker