Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red face installed sub, now drivers controls dont work...

installed a sub yesterday. went in easy and worked right away. but i noticed after than the little controls over by the driver no longer work
    its a '11 lsv with the sony headunit and sony driver control unit that looks like a circle with a "+" in it.
    it powers up and shows the radio station etc. but NONE of the buttons work.

any ideas? i went back on the back of the headunit to make sure i didnt loosen a plug or something. everything was good there.

i also was playing with the EQ but dont think i messed with anything else in the radio.

i cant figure this one out

Not sure if that's a 1 wire remote or not, if so it soundslike the control wire (blue with yellow stripe) got disconnected.
    2013 Outback V

well i connected to the blue wire (remote turn on lead) of course to tell the amp when to turn on. maybe i should disconnect the amp blue wire from the headunit blue wire and see if it starts working again? i just "Y"ed on to that wire should have interupted anything. and like i say its still getting power, and showing the stations/track numbers etc, just the buttons no longer work.

its a sony marine remote commander RM-X60M
    appears to be a two wire. one headphone lookning jack and one SD or RCA looking jack (just looking at manual diagram)

fixed it.
    but one of those deals where ill probly never know what was wrong.

i just unpluged and redid all the plugs for the 3rd time. fixed it.
    i have a hunch is was the grey headphone plug though. the other black SD looking connector was just so positive of a fit and tight.
    just glad its good to go now

well i went out to the lake last night, fliped the stereo switch and guess what the drivers controls werent working again ARG!
    i was so pissed all night i didnt even ride.
    i must have unpluged and repluged and wiggled connections and wires over 20 times out there. i only got them DCs to work twice. the first time it was acting crazy though. buttons were reveresed, and one time the up volume would go up to 8 then start coming back down to 2 then back up to 8 all while only pressing up volume. then i pulled audrey and they quit working again. redid everything 10 times or so and got them working again. then a bit later they quit again. SO frustrating.
    im not 100% on this yet but i think the only time i got them working temporarily is when i also disconnected the blue remote turn on lead from the amp to eliminate it from possibility.
    any ideas?
    im gonna keep doing testing but with it being random, and not knowing whats fixing and breaking it, its hard to diagnose and fix.
    VERY pissed.

Thats got to be frustrating.
    Is it a one wire connection,or is it a din plug and wires. Did you look to see if there is 2 blue remote turn-on leads off the deck? One may be an antenna lead and the other an amp turn-on. I know I had problems with a Clarion deck and remote because I had them hooked to the antenna lead instead of the amp lead. Didn't (at the time) realize there was a difference. That may be the problem and it be something that was done from the factory and not something you did. The remote may be fine to power off the antenna but the amps need to be off the amp turn-on lead.
    At least thats a place to start. Hope this helps. You have a deck and remote model #. That may aid in the search for the problem.

PWI as usual...

the drivers controls, its a two wire. one is a larger black SD looking plug. the other is a grey headphone jack.

i used the same blue wire the factory used to run to the factory amp. i just "Y"ed off of it before the factory amp.

the drivers controls is sony marine remote commander RM-X60M
    i dont have the HU model number with me here.

If it's running both amps and the remote off of the blue wire, the head unit doesn't supply enough current to run all of them. That circuit in the radio is designed as a low current circuit and doesn't supply much output. Its just a signal wire that will allow your amp to change the state of a transistor and power on. It's really not enough current there to power up the display on that remote and control the operation of it. I've run into scenarios like this before and even seen the same issue kill the remote signal circuit in a head unit.
    The correct way to fix it is to install a 12v, 10 to 15 amp relay in the circuit. That way the remote signal is used to switch the relay on and allows it to move all of the current draw to the power that supplies the head unit.

The way to prove if I'm correct or not is to disconnect the blue wire from your amp and see if the remote starts working again or not.

cool. i ran into something like that in my highschool days. i tried to wire a neon light to the amp using the ground and the blue remote lead to turn it on when the amp came on. it was too much draw if i remember right and wouldnt work all the time.

im not real familiar with relays.
    pickle how do you think the factory wired the stereo if i ordered the two amp package?

it is NOT running the remote off the blue wire. unless its done internally inside the radio. the blue wire does not go to the drivers controls. and im getting power to the DCs. its just the buttons that arent working. the display is lit up and working.

A relay is a fantastic little piece of equipment. They are simple to use and simple to learn. You can learn all you need to know in about 5 min. Here's a series of videos about 90 sec. each that explain in very simple terms.

This video explains quite simply why you need one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_IJV...eature=related

This video shows how a relay works and why:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz4X5..._order&list=UL

This video shows how to wire and compares the draw with and without it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkG22...x=2&playnext=1

This video is a very simple illustration of internal operation of a relay:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8Os4WFUALA
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!