Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 325HP or 340HP?

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    that's not a bad idea. all that driving in circles has to push all the engine smog into one concentrated area. no wonder that guy that won the daytona couldn't find the winners circle
    could you imagine being in the infield of bristol if the cars exhaust exited the left side of the car??

i honestly think that being an outdoor sport the smog dissipates fairly quickly
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

so wait, they exit to the right? that explains a lot about nascar fans
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

it does say something about NASCAR fans...that we like the smell of 98 octane race fuel! YUM!
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

about the exhaust stream getting warm, i thought i saw that the CAT engines have the separate cooling systems and are not raw water cooled through the engine - they've got different requirements with the cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by schuylski View Post
    about the exhaust stream getting warm, i thought i saw that the CAT engines have the separate cooling systems and are not raw water cooled through the engine - they've got different requirements with the cooling.
    I would think the exhaust would have to be cooled to be in a boat. Exhaust temps are extreme and would quickly start to cause problems in the engine compartment.
    2005 Air Nautique SV211 Team Edition
    99 Moomba Boomerang- Sold

I know when I start mine up with the fake lake, water pours out the exhaust just like my buddies boomerang.

HA! Ok oops not what I meant at all - Don't know if I'm even right, but I meant that I think the cat ext has the closed system for cooling. Water still comes out the exhaust but the raw water doesn't actually go through all the engine channels.

in order for you to have a closed cooling system, you must have a radiator and a heat exchanger. the extcat's are cooled by the lake/river water just like the non-cat motors unless you opt for the closed cooling system or a saltwater package. follow the hoses off your raw water pump and you will see where they dump into.

Back onto the track...the real benefit of the 340 is the reduction in emissions. The difference vs the 325 is night and day. A 340 would be my recommended #1 mandatory for a Moomba. If you do any surfing, you will eat alot of CO behind a 325. The 325 w/CAT will be along in due time. CAT should be mandatory, not for environmental reasons, for participant safety. A local dealer of a competing brand does not order any Indmar 325s.
    As a side benefit, you won't need to dwell on whether to struggle with installing a Fresh Air Exhaust system.
    '07 Outback V
    Ski|Board|Surf|Skate

Quote Originally Posted by moombabound View Post
    Back onto the track...the real benefit of the 340 is the reduction in emissions. The difference vs the 325 is night and day. A 340 would be my recommended #1 mandatory for a Moomba. If you do any surfing, you will eat alot of CO behind a 325. The 325 w/CAT will be along in due time. CAT should be mandatory, not for environmental reasons, for participant safety. A local dealer of a competing brand does not order any Indmar 325s.
    As a side benefit, you won't need to dwell on whether to struggle with installing a Fresh Air Exhaust system.
    Funny, at 34 mph I don't smell anything and doubt I am getting any CO. The "struggle" of my FAE is that I now don't have to listen to exhaust noise. Also, your dealer has a markup on engines as well.

15 hp in a 3500lb boat isn't much, The 310 hp in my 99 Malibu would walk away from the 325 in my new boat, different hull, running surface, etc.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier