Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 325HP or 340HP?

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    How would it be enforced?

I just pulled the cat out of the truck a couple weeks ago.
    Depends on your state laws. In cali we have to smog test vehicles every two years whether we want to or not. No cat on a required vehicle gets you a fine as well as the cost of putting one back on. They come on motorcycles in cali now too, modify anything and it's a ticket and fine. Dealers will no longer replace exhaust on m/c's.

Now Cali wants to start checking boats, who cares it's a good thing. It WILL be nationwide soon, mark my words. They've been pushing for ALL vehicles checks nationwide for some time and will come to be. This is supposed to include all on / off road vehicles to include watercraft. They've already outlawed two stroke motors in Cali so all the people with them are hosed. It's coming and there's no way out of it.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    The 340 CAT ECM is programmed for the engine and takes into account things like the cat, without one it would more than likely go into limp mode. Being as it's now required in California and soon everywhere else, dealers would not be able to modify things like the ECM by law. If caught it's a very major fine for doing so. SO in a nutshell your stuck with it. The good part is cats last a lot longer than they used to. For the record i've never had to replace one on any of my vehicles and i've had cats since they were law way back when.
    Good point Razz, that's right the engine is programmed and tuned with the cats. It's also interesting to get feedback about hp especially on the XLV (bigger boat but only 300lbs heaver), bottom end appears to be the same between the 340 and 325 but top end does suffer a little, I guess the prop would make a hugh difference in the case on the bottom end power on the XLV.
    Last edited by Sea N' Things; 04-09-2011 at 11:22 AM.
    Rob Snyder...no not the actor!
    2011 Celestial Blue/Black Accent Moomba Mobius LSV, 340HP

That is true, it depends on the state as far as inspections. Plus you would have to retune the ECM.

Honestly though, I find it hard to believe mandatory nationwide emissions test will go into effect anytime soon, especially for on and off road vehicles. That would require alot of money from the states.

Guess Cali has the money to spend ... oh wait ... not even close
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

It would definitely be a massive undertaking for any town, city, state or country to enforce this reg but not impossible, perhaps the replacement parts will be more affordable as cats become more popular and their live expectancy expire.

I'm not up to speed on boat cats but automotive cats are just platinum material in the exhaust stream that acts as a catalyst to remove the nox from the exhaust stream. There really isn't anything in there to "break" and they rarely fail.

But they also have to get very hot to start working and our exhaust streams are cooled so I'm curious as to how the boat one works.
    2005 Air Nautique SV211 Team Edition
    99 Moomba Boomerang- Sold

My mom had to replace one on her Nissan Xterra at about 75,000 miles. Good thing was emissions equipment (on cars any way) had a longer warranty than the rest of the car, I think it is about 80k miles.

I would not think the boat would go into limp mode without a cat, cars do not do that so I do not know why a boat would, doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It would for sure though a check engine light for a cat inefficiency code when the O2 sensor behind the cat reads the same as the O2 sensor in front of the cat.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

the ones I pulled on the cars don't send it into "limp" mode, all they do is throw a code. your ecu thinks that the cats have failed, but it doesn't adjust the engine at all. buy 2 spark plug antifoulers from autozone, drill them out and presto, cel is gone.
    our county does emissions checks and if no pass, no registrations. most are going to do the least amount of work possible during the day(not all, but the ones that I have run into are). all the county requires from the private testing stations is to plug into the obd2 port and read codes. clear ecu=passed emissions 7 years, no cats, and never had one bother to look under the car.
    boats will be a very long time outside of cali before there are any inspections being performed. heck, you can still run a 1940's 2stroke oil burner on any lake.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

True that sandm...

Cali has a lot of weird/stupid laws. Did you know it is the only state where they average 1200 deaths a year due to construction equipment exhaust polluting the air?

All these rules are while people and businesses are leaving California in droves.

As for Cats removing NOX, I was always under the impression that NOX was formed when combustion chamber temperatures exceeded 2500 degrees F. The EGR was invented to deal with NOX, I always understood it that Cats were there for HCs or hydro carbons, becuase a modern fuel injected engine oscillates from rich to lean constantly.

Modern advances in variable valve train technology has made EGRs obsolete as well.

Soon NASCAR is going to have to have Cats on their cars when they go race at Infenion or Fontana.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post

Soon NASCAR is going to have to have Cats on their cars when they go race at Infenion or Fontana.
    that's not a bad idea. all that driving in circles has to push all the engine smog into one concentrated area. no wonder that guy that won the daytona couldn't find the winners circle
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten