Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 325HP or 340HP?

Default 325HP or 340HP?

Hey guys another topic for discussion, what does everyone think of the new 340hp Indmar with the Catalytic Converter. My understanding is that all USA boats has to be equiped with the converter starting Jan 2012 and Canada will follow commencing Jan 2013. Does it really make that much of a difference? Is the 340hp harder on fuel than the 325hp? Is the biggest difference on the top end (speed) or bottom end (power)? I had someone say that the converter produces alot more heat in the engine compartment...?
    Last edited by Sea N' Things; 04-08-2011 at 08:56 PM.
    Rob Snyder...no not the actor!
    2011 Celestial Blue/Black Accent Moomba Mobius LSV, 340HP

Quote Originally Posted by Sea N' Things View Post
    Hey guys another topic for discussion, what does everyone think of the new 340hp Indmar with the Catalytic Converter. My understanding is that all USA boats has to be equiped with the converter starting Jan 2012 and Canada will follow commencing Jan 2013. Does it really make that much of a difference? Is the 340hp harder on fuel than the 325hp? Is the biggest difference on the top end (speed) or bottom end (power)? I had someone say that the converter produces alot more heat in the engine compartment...?

they do produce more heat. all a catalytic converter does is trapped unburned fuel particles and burn them so you dont have any hydro carbons leaving the exhaust. just an example of how hot they get. on truck in fields they have been known to start grass fires.

i wish you could get a 340 or 409 horse without cats. one more expensive ass part that can break
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

WOW that's hot. Does it make a diff with the air quality behind the boat while surfing etc...?

it should cut down on HC and CO emissions from the tail pipe so you will have primarily H2O and CO2 coming from your exhaust. there will still be some CO but not as much as without CATS
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

I have the 340 and my buddy has the 325. We both have XLV's. The main difference is in top end, not bottom end. The 340 revs higher, but REALLY drinks gas when you use the extra capacity. So, I rarely make use of it.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

what do you have in your boat for hp?

can't speak to the difference between those 2, but I do notice that when surfing behind my friends sanger w/o cats, you can get a whiff of exhaust if the wind is right. I have not ever noticed exhaust smells behind mine.

what will be interesting to see will be the first cases of having to replace them and costs associated with. would also be interested to see if gutting them like cars will produce extra hp once they do go if you decide not to replace.
    granted it was force fed, but I picked up over 20whp ditching the cat on my last 2 mitsu evo's.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Now that is an interesting thought, but would it be madatory to replace the cats if the boat was sold with cats?

Now that is an interesting thought, but would it be madatory to replace the cats if the boat was sold with cats?
    How would it be enforced?

I just pulled the cat out of the truck a couple weeks ago.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

The 340 CAT ECM is programmed for the engine and takes into account things like the cat, without one it would more than likely go into limp mode. Being as it's now required in California and soon everywhere else, dealers would not be able to modify things like the ECM by law. If caught it's a very major fine for doing so. SO in a nutshell your stuck with it. The good part is cats last a lot longer than they used to. For the record i've never had to replace one on any of my vehicles and i've had cats since they were law way back when.
    2007 Mobius LSV