Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Box Dimensions

Viking hate to ask you this, but can you post the dimensions of your box? What amount of airspace is this box?

Clamcakes

clam,
    I don't remember offhand what the exact dimensions are but I can tell you that we measured the space (height, width "to the glass cross-member" and "to the hole in the hump", and depth to the back of the front seat) to ensure that the overall dimensions would spec out to the JL12W3 needs. It came out almost exact. Start with the sub and needed cubic feet of space and go from there!

The enclosure was a timely process but when all was said and done, had to disassemble the steering column and relocate the power/ground block and it squeezed right in. It isn't going to budge and when I sell the boat it's going with cause it's in there. But no leg room sacrificed.

"butter"

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

forgot to ask about if you had to disassemble the steering and fuse box. i was under there the other day and pondered if a sub would fit on that hump. i figured an 8 or 10" would fit but those woofers are to small for my taste. really didnt think a 12 would fit until i came across this thread. i had an old pre-made 12" enclosure and basically wedged it up under the dash as far as possible with the woofer firing up under the dash. (i'll post pics this weekend if anybody is interested in how i wedged it in there)doesnt leave me much leg room but in the future will look into creating a custom box and getting it up on the hump.

Clam

ya - it was extremely time consuming but worth it in the end. And the way it's installed it's easy now to pull the woofer if you ever need to or swap it out. But the enclosure is part of the boat pretty much, sounds great, and factory look from the front.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Viking- I had put some coats of clear polyurethane on the box, both inside and out before I carpeted it. With the polyurethane and its location, I'm fealing confident it will be good to go.

New Guy- I plan on adding some more support yet. I just had to call it a day and snapped a couple of pics to post.

Clam-I know you said you wanted something bigger than a 10, but just for reference in size my box is 12x12x12 inches. I didn't have remove the steering at all, any bigger and you will have to.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

I'd be a little concerned about that box bouncing around and cracking something or breaking loose when you are running through the chop or rough water. The L bracket appears to keep it balanced up in there but is there anything else holding it from taking a bounce after a hard hit?
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Default Install complete

Well the hardware is all install. I know some of the pictures are repeats but who doesn't like pictures. I added suppport under the box from the top of the foot hump. Some screws from the inside of the box going outward. The L-brackets are pretty strong before the support under the box. Everything is pretty well tied together, so this box isnt going anywhere.

I just need to get tuned it. Which will be the last time for a while that I crawl under the dash.

Hopefully this will help others out with how to fit a subwoofer in an outback with no lose of usable space.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

looking at the pics, it looks like the Outback hump isnt as high as the hump in the LSV.