Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Project; adding a subwoofer (outback)

I am well underway on my spring project. I am adding a subwoofer to my stereo system. My original set up was the OEM kenwood deck for a source, to my JL Audio M6600 amp for all the cabin speakers(6). 1 channel for each speaker. The speakers are the popular Polk Audio DB651. No tower speakers for me.

Using the current setup I am adding a JL audio M1700 amp, and a JL Audio 10" w6 subwoofer. I redid my power wiring to accomadate the second amplifier. I also untilized the RCA pass through on the amplifier to add the second amp in line so I did not have to use any spliters for the RCA wires.

The M6600 amp is mounted in the observers storage area. The M1700 amp in mounted on the seat back infront of the helm. My goal is to use as little floor space as possible.

My subwoofer box is planned to fit on top of the drivers foot rest. yes it will be infront of my amp, but no loss of leg room is priority.

I took some pics so far. Sorry for the low quality. Used my cell phone camera in low light. But gives you an idea. I will add more pictures later as I add the sub box.

Photo04080116.jpg

Photo04080117.jpg
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

Cool idea - will make tuning the amp tricky, but definateltly saves space! It's amazing how much room is there when you don't have a heater. I was picturing my boat before I looked at your pics thinking "htf is that going to fit??"
    2013 Outback V

Thought I would post some full size pictures. Some are repeats but one new one. Its been slow progress due to WI winter sticking around among other things.

Finished making my own sub box. Nothing fancy. Thought it turned out ok for a first time. Also got my JL W6 in the mail today.

2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

Looking good man nice box for your first one.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

So the nwhere are you placing your sub? In the drivers foot well? I've got a sub but I put it under the observers seat. Its that kicker sub for marine use. Not happy with its location/ sound. Need to take out the box and put in a box at the drivers foot well, as the sound is just way to muffled. Its knda like I have to listen for the sub.
    08 Outback. Private Lake Owner.

Some new pictures with my progress

usaski1 my new pictures should answer you question.

Looks great but do you think that those l brackets are going to be able to support the weight of the sub and it pounding? I really think that you might want to support the bottom of the box somehow.
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

you will love that sub.. I have the 12w6 in my boat and it absolutely pounds. by far the hardest hittin sub I have ever owned....
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    you will love that sub.. I have the 12w6 in my boat and it absolutely pounds. by far the hardest hittin sub I have ever owned....
    2nd that. It's a monster. I opted for the 12W3 in my boat and it sounds great. That sub is going to be just what the doctor ordered .

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Hey Hoopskier,
    you may consider buying a can of resin and coating your box several times over. It will harden up and waterproof your enclosure. I put about 8-10 coats over mine and turned out bulletproof.

Attached is a pic while in the early stages of coating and then showing it installed above the hump and how it turned out when done!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet