Default looking for recommendations on new prop for 05 outback

Looking to purchase new prop should I just replace with existing or is there something better . Running original prop that came with boat has a few nicks and bumps would like to get it fixed but would also like a spare . Any info would be appreciated and also where to order from.

need a little more info. what do you have stock(it's on the prop around the hole that the shaft goes through) and what do you want to gain from a new/different prop? what are your primary activities?
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

we are more into skiing and pulling kids on tube and knee board , do a little wakeboarding wanting to try some surfing but mainly skiing. Happy with way boat handles now but could always make room for improvement .Stock prop ,boat a lake in garage so can't look at the prop it self . I think it is a 13x13 left hand oj .

I had the stock 3 blade prop on my '08 Mobius LS DD. It vibrated and moaned when accelerating so bad I thought I had a bent shaft or something else wrong. I went with the 4 blade 13x13 OJ prop and man what a difference all around. Absolutely no vibration, my hole shot was considerably quicker, prop wash behind the boat has diminished considerably and didn't loose any top end.

It was like riding a 2 horse wagon before and now it is more like a luxury Lincoln. I can't believe that SC allows a boat to go out of there plant with a prop that creates so much noise and vibration when other props work so much better. If I were you I would go back with the 13x13 4 blade prop.
    Patrick
    '08 Mobius LS. 4 Blade OJ 13x13 Prop.
    Kenwood KMR440U & RC107MR, T600-2 Rockford Fosgate powering 2 Liquid Acoustics 8" HLCD, Kicker SKM10 subwoofer
    5 light- light bar.
    2015 RAM 3500HD Dually 6.7 Diesel w/ Aisin 6 speed tranny
    Live life today!

I have 2 props for my 03 outback. Both props are OJ Legends (non-CNC). Both props have a 13x13 pitch. The difference is one is a three blade the other is a 4 blade. As far as vibration, haven't had an issue with either one.

For the performance part, I like my 3 blade. It suits my needs 90% of the time. I run a light boat (no ballast) and only a few people most of the time. I feel it has a little bit more top end speed, which is what I am looking for when barefooting or skiing. It holds speed well for waterskiing. At the slower speed for wakeboading, the speed tends to wander a little so you need to keep minor throttle adjustments, sometimes. Also when idling in gear, you notice the boat will move forward faster.

For the 4 blade. Its better out of the hole, especially when I have a full boat of adults or running ballast. But, like i mention I don't nomally have a heavy boat. When idling in gear, the boat moves a little slower. For me at wide open throttle, I could occasionally feel the engine bump the rev limiter-meaning there is power to spare on the top end.

Also my watersport activites range through about everything-tubing, watersking, wakeboarding, kneeboarding.

Thats my comparison on 3 vs 4 blade props. These are all seat of the pants feeling and your result maybe different. Heard some good things about the CNC machined props vs cast (which is what I have)

Make sure you know for certain what you have for pitch. Then call OJ or Acme and they can give you some suggestions.
    Last edited by Hoopskier; 04-09-2011 at 11:41 PM. Reason: add info
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

call nettleprops and they will guide you.

if you don't run ballast most of the time, either vendor makes a fantastic product. those that run a lot of ballast don't seem to like the oj, the acme is much smoother and silent.

good writeup hoop.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I would call Eric at OJ and tell him your boat model and uses. He has picked the perfect prop for more than one person on here in the past. Good luck!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all your info think I might give the 4 blade a try that way if I don't like it I can put on old prop after it is fixed and then use 4 blade for spare . Do I need a prop puller or can I get away without one to remove old prop??Will also call nettleprop.

Hoop any noticeable difference in wake between the 3 blade and 4 blade?
    2005 Outback DD

moomba- as far as wake shape or firmness, not that I can recall. A prop won't change those. It has been a while since I hade the 4 blade on the boat. I keep the 4 blade for a spare. I know there have been other people say that one prop vs a different prop leaves a rooster or bump in the wake at slalom ski speeds, but I haven't noticed it. I am just a regular weekend worrier though.

Freyse-you probably will need a puller to get the prop off, especially if the prop has never been off. You can buy a puller or take it to any inboard dealer and have them pull it. .
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer