Hybrid View

Default Installing a new amp rack and amp - Question

My LS has a 1000W Kenwood Amp that I assume is powering the tower speakers and maybe the cabins as well. I just got the boat so I haven't really been able to look too much into it.

I have a Pioneer Premier 800W pk (2ohm) mono Block amp that I used to have in my truck that is not being used anymore that I thought I would install to power a sub. I'm planning on replacing the amps next year so this amp is just to get me by until then.

I want to save some coin and do this install myself. I have installed all of the systems that I have had in my own vehicles in the past but I have never done something like this in a boat.

The existing amp is mounted to what looks like ply wood in the compartment that houses the batteries (passenger seat). I am thinking about taking that out and making a new one and carpet it and screw both amps to it. My question is are there any special type of screws that I need to use to attach the rack to the boat? What is the best way to do that?

My boat is stored about 30 miles from me so I can't just look and see how its done currently. Also, I was looking to build a box for under the helm like many of you have. Would I use the same technique to mount and stabilize the box there as well?

I'm supposed to take the boat to my buddies stereo shop before we head for the lake this Saturday so he can look at it and give me a quote but I'd like to have an idea of how to do it myself in the event that I don't want to pay some crazy price to put in one amp and build or use a prefab box. I've already dropped enough on this thing and I haven't even had it a week and its not even summer yet!! I just want it to be ready for when it is!

Does anyone have a suggestion on a good sounding Sub DVC 4ohm?
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

lots of threads from several of the members here on how to install sub boxes. some choose the prefab route from places like exile and earmark, and some have built their own. I'm sure many of us will post up links to our appropriate installs and you will get the ideas.
    ampracks vary in locations, some against the bow seats and some along the walls. seems that some form of plastic composite is the best, not using wood again.

I'll start it off by posting up my self-promoting thread and sure others will follow. do what you feel is best for your particular boat.

as far as subs, you will get many different answers there. if you buy a brand name and spend some decent dough, you should get a good one.. it really depends on what your goal is. well balanced system or party cove system
    again, I chose a JL 12w6v3 and it just pounds.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=9578
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

My main concern is how to stabilize and mount the amp rack and box to the boat so that it won't move while the boat is underway. I've seen lots of pictures to get ideas and I can build the racks and run the wires Just not sure the best way to keep it stable. Do you just screw into the boat itself? I hate sounding like an ignorant Newb...
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

To start; I know wood is not recommended but I used some. But where and how I used it, where I'm located, I'm sure it won't be a problem.

I used a piece of 3/4 plywood and attatched it to the bow seatback inside the passenger side storage area. The wood does not extend to the floor. I used some larger (#12) 1.5" long stainless steel screws. Haven't had a problem. This large board gave me a mount for the amp and fuse holder. The board it about 12" wide by 18" long, roughly.

Also, I painted my piece of wood for moisture protection. I also cover the wood with marine vinyl, gives it a finished look and more moisture protection.

I'm going to be starting a thread of my own soon with my current upgrades. It that thread I will attach some pics.

Also add some pictures of what you have to start with and others can add to your ideas
    Last edited by Hoopskier; 04-05-2011 at 07:53 PM. Reason: add info
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

In my boat I mounted the amps to a board leaning on the sidewalk of the boat. To secure I cut 2 1"x1" squares out of the carpet and glued wood blocks right to the hull. Then I used stainless screws to screw the amp board into the mounting blocks.
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton View Post
    In my boat I mounted the amps to a board leaning on the sidewalk of the boat. To secure I cut 2 1"x1" squares out of the carpet and glued wood blocks right to the hull. Then I used stainless screws to screw the amp board into the mounting blocks.
    X2 I cut the carpet on where I wanted the block, cleaned it very good, and used a 5 min epoxy. I have had my system mounted for three years with out any problems. I also added a metal bracket off a few of the bolt they use to mount the seats. Just needed washers and nuts.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopskier View Post
    I used a piece of 3/4 plywood and attatched it to the bow seatback inside the passenger side storage area.
    Dug up a picture for you.
    amp pic.jpg
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer